Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 07-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree

Problen with Fort Erie 7/21 Download

Hi Ted,

I downloaded FE but received no task completed message and received
incomplete data, for example races 6 thru end had no data and there were
incomplete pp in other races. I re-tried but the process did not start.

However Spec160 had complete data for all races.
I sent this also via Support@sartinmethodolgy.com but I guess this is
the better avenue.

Thanks For Your Attention,

Ernie
Old 07-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Hi Ernie,

Just saw this, sorry I could not respond earlier! As Richie mentioned to you, today's FE card downloaded and Converted fine for me too. It seems to have downloaded OK for you because you got a working Spec160 file, so some problem occurred during the Convert process. Conversion occurs race by race, so you would get precisely the problem you see if somehow the Conversion was interrupted after the 5th race. For example, sometimes I inadvertently hit the Cancel button and the whole Convert process stops mid-way (there used to be a warning message too that you should re-start the Convert, in this case).

Don't forget that to re-convert something you have previously already Converted (even if aborted), you need to remove the Check-mark from 'Don't Duplicate Tasks' or the Convert Task will simply not run (i.e. not Duplicate what has already been done once).

Let me know if this helps get the full FE card for today.

Regarding your other (email) query about displaying cards for Date and instead, getting cards for the whole week: could you try clicking on that day (e.g. Today, Tomorrow, Yesterday) a 2nd time and see what happens. Normally the only way to get the whole week is either by checking All Available Dates, or by specifying a date range including many days and choosing Range of Date.

Let me know if that solves anything.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 07-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree

Ted,

Thanks for your response. In the interim I removed ver 98.6 and installed 98.7Now ver 98.7 cannot locate todays, FE0721 or any of the previous days I
played. I didn't make any changes to the DB file. I have to leave the house so
I will have to address this tomorrow.

Regards,

Ernei
Old 07-21-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree

Ted,

For version 98.7 I also have gotton the "Could Not Load Zip Routines" message.
I was able to access ver 98.7 the first time I installed it...BUT
if I exited the program and then invoked it again I would get the "Could Not
Load Zip Routines" message. I saw that another user could not get around
the problem via "REGDLL.BAT". So I deceided to revert back to ver 98.6.

I then removed version 98.7 and re-installed version 98.6. Now in version 98.6
I could not access FE for 7/21 nor any of my past files or even the demo database.
When I display available cards for 7/21, I just get 7/21 only, so that is ok.
I balked at trying to reload FE for 7/21 for I probably would be
double charged for the file considering that the program (98.6)
could not bring up any of my past files.

Going forward I plan to use 98.6 for Calder on 7/23.

Ernie
Old 07-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Ernie,

The short answer to these problems is (and the long answer follows below): install V0.98.7 (no need to uninstall the previous version first). To resolve the ZIP routines problem, look in your \windows\system32 folder for a file named XceedZip.dll. Presuming that you find such a file, please rename it to something else (e.g. XceepZip.dl_). This is the same advice I gave recently in the ZIP routines problem Topic in the RDSS Bugs Forum: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...72&postcount=6 and that seemed to work (and has also worked for 2 others who have written to me).

You should now be able to load and run RDSS on an ongoing basis.

Here's the longer answer: your problems, I think, have arisen due to an unfortunate series of events (and certainly not your fault). First you could not access all the races in yesterday's FE card, possibly due to the circumstances described in my previous post. You say you removed version 0.98.6, but it is possible when you did that that you also removed your database file (which is why you cannot find FE 07/21), perhaps responding to the Uninstaller's query whether to also remove the file \rdss\data\data.db (the RDSS database). It was for this reason, that I changed the behaviour of the installer starting with V 0.98.7 to NEVER remove the RDSS database, ever, during uninstall or re-install (see the release notes to V0.98.7: http://www.sartinmethodology.com/rds...ase_notes_0987). If you do not have a backup copy of your database file, and if you need to recreate your lost database from downloaded data files which you probably still have, let me know and I will dig up the post which describes a way to reload from old data files (sadly, your paceline selections will be lost).

Ernie, FYI, you can always download the same card from TrackMaster on the same calendar day as many times as you like and pay only once. If you need it, just email me and I can supply you with that missing card.

For those who really want to know the gory details about the ZIP problem, here goes (otherwise, please skip the following):

As mentioned in the ZIP Bug Topic, the problem RDSS runs into sometimes is that other programs can also make use of the same ZIP library which I license for RDSS. When they are installed into Windows they (or at least one, not sure which) install the ZIP library (XceedZip.dll) in the \windows\system32 folder and register it with Windows, just like thousands of other libraries and routines used by Windows itself and by many other apps. Trouble is, they sometimes install an older version (or a version with a different license key) to that ZIP library which then causes RDSS' previously working ZIP library to stop working.

After discovering what the intermittent ZIP problem has been for the past few years, in V0.98.7 I attempted to solve it finally by always re-registering RDSS' own ZIP library every time it loads up, but this turns out to be only half-useful. If there is another, different, ZIP library file in \windows\system32 (where Windows apaprently looks first to load ActiveX libraries), Windows will load from there before it loads from RDSS!

Thus the solution: rename or delete any other XceedZip.dll ZIP libraries from \windows\system32 and RDSS' version will always load properly (Note: you may have to load RDSS twice to get the proper ZIP library finally installed).

I am working on another RDSS Update for later this week (to deliver some kind of export to Excel for factor modeling), and I will try to come up with a permanent solution to this ZIP business (i.e. more permanent than the previous permanent solution ).

Again (and again), sorry for the confusion caused by this this ZIP thing, and Ernie, I hope you can get back in business today with this advice.

Please let me know.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 07-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree

Ted,

Ok, 98.7 is good to go after I renamed XceedZip.dll.
I also re-downloaded FE for 7/21 and all is well.

I can live without my previous files as my records are up-to-date.
So thanks as always for your timely and extensive feedback.

Ernie