Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 12-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Tim Y
turf historian

Soverign finalists reported

The finalists for year end T-bred honors in Canadian racing were released by the Jockey Club of Canada, and, with a few exceptions, it is nice to realize my evaluations in the various categories were not from left field. I really love the fact, that a "rags to riches" story from Hastings Park (a huge, 18 hands mare, named Against the Sky that went 7 6 1 0) going from starter allowances to graded stakes winner, made the finals in best older mare in Canada in 2008. She is a very long shot to win it, but the John Henry in all of us will be pulling for her.

Another great thing is the fellow who owns her (Bob Leffler) is a small time stable proprietor and her trainer is blue collar. I was in the winner's circle for her first stakes win and his wife was nervously watching the television (you cannot see the race well from that venue as the board blocks the backstretch). As dawdling fractions went up and she was easily on the lead, I told the very jumpy gal "If she gets to the 3/4 in over 1:13 (it was a quagmire that day), the race is over." and as that fraction, plus 6/5ths, came up, I blurted out" "Go stand over there is the circle because this race is OVER." "Do you really think so?" was her answer, and I just said "WATCH HER OPEN UP NOW." Next start was a repeat over the best on the grounds in a graded stakes.

She is up against some BIG guns from Woodbine, but it is a moral victory for her to make it to the finals. Way to go big girl!!
Attached Images

Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Tim Y
turf historian

I meant to add that she only ran against her own sex later in the year.
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote