Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 06-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #1
Ryan.p.coli
Grade 1

My First Day with RDSS

Hi Everyone,

This past saturday was my first time handicapping with RDSS. I have been studying the Sartin Methodology pretty aggressively over the past 6-7 weeks. I have read both Pace Makes the Race and Modern Pace handicapping. I have read through the pace line manual a few times. It takes a lot of practice. I have been practicing pace line selection. I didn't have a windows machine until last week, I have 2 apple laptops. Needless to say, I was pretty eager to get my hands on the RDSS software.

I started out with a loss in the 5th race at Santa Anita... I didn't even have the winner on my radar. In fact, when I go back and look at it, I can't get the winning result with any of the pace lines. Boo Hoo right? Wrong.

Queue up the 6th race.

Paceline Selection:
1. last line. No need to go back to maiden win This is more recent and only lost by a head. Live odds are 4/1
2. Last line. Finished in the money within the last 90 days. Live odds are 4/1
3. last line. Only Dirt race and it is a + race. Live odds are 7/1
4. Last Line- I can make a case for going back to the 3rd to last line, but this one is more recent... and a better indicator than what we can expect today. This is our favorite today, and it is 3/1
5. 2nd line... last line is downhill turf race. This is a dirt race. Live odds are 5/1
6. Last line is only line. Went off at 56/1
7. Second to last line... but I don't expect this horse to be a contender. Went off at 38/1.
8. I got kinda confused here. Horse has not run in over 200 days and it has never run a sprint on the dirt. It also has the highest APV and CR... so that threw me off even more. I ended up putting 2 lines in for this horse, and giving it it's better total energy line. Going off at 6/1
9. Last line. Going off at 6/1
10. Last Line... although I was kind of worried about the 2nd and 3rd lines.. ended up sticking to my guns and held it to a sprint line.
Attached Images

Ryan.p.coli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #2
Ryan.p.coli
Grade 1

Remaining Horses

Here are horses 5-9
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2014, 11:58 PM   #3
Ryan.p.coli
Grade 1

Here is the last horse and the RDSS Output

Here is the last horse and the RDSS Output.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #4
Ryan.p.coli
Grade 1

Result Chart

I ended up betting the 3 & 5 to Win and Show.

In retrospect, I should have bet the trifecta, but I am trying to play relatively conservative until I have more experience with the software. Needless to say, I'm a pretty big believer in what people are teaching on this website. I am also a pretty big believer in the RDSS software.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
gandalf380
Grade 1

Congratulations on a nice win. The important thing is consistency in your pace selection. That way you can keep track of what is working at your track. Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are a lot of nice helpful people here.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
Ryan.p.coli
Grade 1

Thanks for the mind words. I agree and I was just telling Ted how amazed I was at everyone's willingness to share experiences and information. I still have a very long way to go between building profiles, record keeping, and the match up. It is nice to grab a winner at good odds early in my RDSS journey. Thanks again.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
Bill V.
The egg man

way to go

Excellent work

I liked your race and your work up so much.

I also ran the race using some of the classic programs
down in the classic programs forum

Thanks

Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Good work Ryan, and good patience to wait out earlier races.

Re your comment about betting Win and Show - please tell me you meant Win and Place ...

Also, you should reduce the horses in your Primary group to 5 maximum. This will remove noise from your readouts, and if you create Decision Models by Exporting to Excel, having all races' readouts based on 5 horses max will put all aggregate ranked readouts on the same footing. Try using Total Energy and/or Primary Line Score (on the BL/BL screen) to eliminate down to 5 horses (place the eliminated ones in Secondary or Non-Contenders groups).

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 06-24-2014 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added last paragraph
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
sureshotlink
Grade 1

Atta Boy!

Excellent job my man!

This was my only play on Saturday. Both the 3 and 5 could have been played with more weight leaning towards the 3 horse. Achtung baby rating horses of maiden wins such as the 5 horse. Also as you gain more confidence limit the contenders you plug in into the program.

Fantastic work!

Paul Link
sureshotlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:48 PM   #10
Ryan.p.coli
Grade 1

Bill- thanks for the support. I really appreciate the support. Since I am relatively new to the methodology, I prefer RDSS to the classic programs. It's still very interesting to see the progression of different tools throughout the years.

Ted- Good call on getting the field down to 5 horses. Again, I still have some work to do with building profiles and models before I can really leverage the export function. Unfortunately, I did not bet win/place. I bet win/show for both 3 & 5. Subsequently, the only loss I took was the win bet on the 5. I left a lot of money on the table with my analysis here, no question. To your point, the automated line selection also chose the same result, I am not surprised that a few of us also had this pegged.