Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You? > Matchup Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Matchup Discussion Matchup Discussion and Practice

Old 06-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #1
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Belmont Marathon

Here is the best mile info for Belmont:

Based on this info the main challenge to AP should be Madefromlucky who last raced at Belmont at 9 furlongs and perhaps Frosted. Note that AP has 2-3-4th best mile times at or near lead and MFL presses with the best mile. Frosted could be a presser, but if so his closing kick should be compromised by Matchup principles.

I'd put AP and MFL on top of Frosted with the top 2 for show as well. Maybe add the late running Tale of Verve for 3rd as well.

I projected the matchup on the next post.
Attached Images

Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #2
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Belmont Matchup

Using AP's Derby splits and differentials for 4 furlong and 6 furlong calls any horse that ran previously vs slower times will have to speed up if it is an E, EP or P positionally. I added the differentials, subtracted the total time from the closing fraction and projected a 9 furlong time for each horse. If a horse was Sustained, I used its final time at 9F because these horses are not pace dependent, IMHO. Of course if they try to stay closer to the projected pace their closing kicks will be slower, UNLESS, they are still improving which at this time of year is always something to consider/fear.

I would not expect to see the OP fractions repeated with so little up front contention. Materiality's best is slower than the Derby. This analysis gets MFL first and AP either 1st or 2nd with at least a 3 second gap to Frosted's best.

The far right column is the best mile pace of race used in the marathon. The closest to the lead considering pace of race are AP and MFL.

Don't be confused by Tale of Verve's 8th positioning in the Preakness. IT WAS LAST in its field, so the bottom five may be a long ways off early hoping for the front runners to crack.

Good luck to you all,
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
pilot
Grade 2

Thanks for posting Bill.

Wayne
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
dogkatcher
Grade 1

I read where Tale of Verve and Carpe Diem will NOT run in the Belmont and that a small field of 8 is most likely.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #5
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Latest article has TOV running per trainer, but Carpe Diem and one other are out. I have the 8 who I think are running, some have multiple lines shown in my analysis.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #6
dogkatcher
Grade 1

Talking

Thanks Bill, good to hear TOV still in, I need better sources
Old 06-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Link to Bloodhorse article about Tale of Verve

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...-tale-of-verve
Old 06-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #8
KBROD
Grade 1

Chef-de-race has their figs up for the race
KBROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #9
gavin12
Maiden

Bill, thank you for both of your thorough posts. The story re. another Triple Crown possibility will be decided on Saturday. It seems Baffert is able to squeeze more from his lemons than Pletcher has ever been able to! Had BB been on East Coast he would likely have 2-3 Triple Crowns on his mantle by now.
gavin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #10
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lyster View Post
Here is the best mile info for Belmont:

Based on this info the main challenge to AP should be Madefromlucky who last raced at Belmont at 9 furlongs and perhaps Frosted. Note that AP has 2-3-4th best mile times at or near lead and MFL presses with the best mile. Frosted could be a presser, but if so his closing kick should be compromised by Matchup principles.

I'd put AP and MFL on top of Frosted with the top 2 for show as well. Maybe add the late running Tale of Verve for 3rd as well.

I projected the matchup on the next post.
Note here that the only horses running Saturday that have run first or second in either a Grade 1 or Grade 2 are AP, Frosted, Tale of Verve and Madeforlucky. If Grade 1 horse win Grade 1 races, these are my exotic players. Oops I missed Materiality. Probably cannot win, but could hit the board.

Last edited by Bill Lyster; 06-04-2015 at 01:59 PM. Reason: left out materiality