Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 11-22-2020, 04:40 PM   #1
RichieP
Grade 1

Woodbine racing done for the season

From Bloodhorse:
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...y-of-2020-meet
Old 11-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #2
CheckMark
Conley

So sad that they had to end it today like that

If they were smart they would have said Saturday was the last day imo that is what I would have done if I were Jim Lawson

Yesterday was cold but it was clear enough to wrap up the season on a good note if they were to end yesterday

Hopefully, everyone there stays safe down there it will be like madness and me living only 1 hour from Toronto is even scarier to consider myself lucky that our town of Fergus is not shut down but I would not be surprised if they do in the next 2-4 weeks
Old 11-27-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
The Pook
Grade 1

Lets hope that by the time Woodbine is normally in full swing in May 2021, many vaccines will be in use and enough people will have been inoculated to allow full attendance without masks. A bit of a long shot maybe but entirely possible.

I am looking forward to it.

Pook
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:09 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I also am really looking forward to one more opening day at Woodbine before I head to BC next Spring. I feel - we gotta do what we gotta do. Inaction just results in massive spread of the virus. Even so, this new Toronto area lock-down comes in response to really only normal human nature: it's REALLY hard to stay socially distant in a big city with such a large cross section of age groups and cultures. Despite politicians and health officials entreaties to the contrary - it seems so difficult to do the distancing thing. It's against normal human nature.

I've always found Woodbine's end of season few weeks in late November and December to consist of dodgy weather and races - a game of cat-and-mouse with immanent Winter in Southern Ontario. With such a long season, regular bettors are getting a bit 'punch drunk' while owners, trainers and support staff are always waiting for the weather to beat them up. I empathize with those who will lose work. It could be the Blitzkrieg though (but it's not).

I recall one year in the mid-80s I was there on opening day in early April and also on closing day in December (and many dozen of days in between - I had a free pass in those days when admission was charged). I had to take the subway then 2 buses to get there from downtown Toronto. Later, I lived next to the old Greenwood racetrack in the east end (the 'old Woodbine') and walked to the track when it was running and early mornings for workouts, with binoculars, coffee and toast.

Will be nice to get there live one more time (at least). Meanwhile, I hope the horses and people stay safe and have hay and necessities of life over the Winter until the pandemic eases with next year's vaccines.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:53 AM   #5
CheckMark
Conley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
I also am really looking forward to one more opening day at Woodbine before I head to BC next Spring. I feel - we gotta do what we gotta do. Inaction just results in massive spread of the virus. Even so, this new Toronto area lock-down comes in response to really only normal human nature: it's REALLY hard to stay socially distant in a big city with such a large cross-section of age groups and cultures. Despite politicians and health officials' entreaties to the contrary - it seems so difficult to do the distancing thing. It's against normal human nature.

I've always found Woodbine's end of season few weeks in late November and December to consist of dodgy weather and races - a game of cat-and-mouse with immanent Winter in Southern Ontario. With such a long season, regular bettors are getting a bit 'punch drunk' while owners, trainers and support staff are always waiting for the weather to beat them up. I empathize with those who will lose work. It could be the Blitzkrieg though (but it's not).

I recall one year in the mid-80s I was there on opening day in early April and also on closing day in December (and many dozen days in between - I had a free pass in those days when admission was charged). I had to take the subway then 2 buses to get there from downtown Toronto. Later, I lived next to the old Greenwood racetrack in the east end (the 'old Woodbine') and walked to the track when it was running and early mornings for workouts, with binoculars, coffee, and toast.

Will be nice to get there live one more time (at least). Meanwhile, I hope the horses and people stay safe and have hay and necessities of life over the Winter until the pandemic eases with next year's vaccines.

Ted
Ted

Are you moving out of Ontario and to British Columbia?
Old 11-28-2020, 11:38 AM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Yes. Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, Spring.

Looking forward to taking the float plane to the mainland and to Hastings races (someday) with darmar (Darryl M)

Ted

R
DSS -

Last edited by Ted Craven; 11-28-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:12 PM   #7
CheckMark
Conley

Quote:

Looking forward to taking the float plane to the mainland and to Hastings races (someday) with darmar (Darryl M)

Ted
Wow!

Good luck with your next chapter in your life Ted! Exciting stuff!
Are you moving because of the COVID cases or are you moving or personal reasons?

Sorry to ask that just wanted to know
Old 11-28-2020, 01:34 PM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Less winter, larger town, ocean, mountains, wife retirement, new chapter - all of it! Not Covid: Huntsville/Muskoka is probably the safest place in Canada at the moment.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 11-28-2020, 02:37 PM   #9
CheckMark
Conley

Quote:
Less winter, larger town, ocean, mountains, wife retirement, new chapter - all of it! Not Covid: Huntsville/Muskoka is probably the safest place in Canada at the moment.

Ted
Old 11-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #10
gandalf380
Grade 1

Quote:

Ted
And having the pace and cap seminar one year at Hastings.