Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 11-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
Tim Y
turf historian

My latest article

At LAST, the editorial staff of the Toronto based racing magazine THE GAME has informed me that my article (entitled "The Search for Cheatin'
Charlie") will be published in their December edition. I will have buy about ten of them!!!!
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Jonathan Steele
Grade 1

Congratulations, Tim. Perhaps you can post it here, afterwards?

Regards,

Jon
Old 11-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
Tim Y
turf historian

it is TOO long to post here.

It has photos as well

This is Charlie winning at old Dufferin Park
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Y; 11-25-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Tim Y
turf historian

a better one

Here is Charlie in a stakes race winners circle with a fellow (white hair) he rode for who usually named his horse with some electrical terms
Like Sine Wave or Current boost. Jack Diamond, the old president of the BC Jockey Club is in the horned rim glasses.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Y; 11-25-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
Bill V.
The egg man

Thumbs up write

Good for you Tim

Really good news.. Nice to see

Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
Tim Y
turf historian

INTRO goes like this:
The Search for Cheatin’ Charlie.

“If you can’t find an interesting story at a race track, your vital signs have flat lined and you have no pulse.” Doug Abraham, track historian Stampede Park.

I was an outsider. Already retired from a career, never being born to, or brought up in the racing culture, here I was in my first season as the gate cameraman at Hastings’s Park in Vancouver. Since duties required moving with the starting gate, I slowly began to befriend the capable and nimble footed assistant starter’s who climb into that gate every 20 minutes to assure a fair beginning. They were a bit distant at first, but as the season marched on, we became friends. They soon learned that horse racing was my life’s passion, but mostly observed that at arm’s length from the grandstands. We would swap racing stories all the time, but it was when I heard one of the senior crew mention the handle, “Cheatin’ Charlie,” I simply had to know more.

A name like that engenders the memory of Hot Horse Herbie, Gloomy Willie, Harry the Horse, or Nellie Thursday who were all creations of the great newspaperman, Damon Runyon. A product of a bygone era, these supporting characters in the sports life of newspaper readers seemed to have more texture and distinctiveness. These “personalities” have vanished in today’s media. Instead, the sterile, multi-millionaire sports idols have taken their place, most of whom have little difference among them outside the record books. These “larger than life” knick names gave people individuality independent of their success. We all remember those other names for Babe Ruth (The Bambino or the Sultan of Swat etc.). They are as unique as the people they honor and bestow on the recipient a simple truth: “you don’t remind me of anyone else. You are an original.”

I began asking everyone I met how I would find the story behind this nickname. How did it come to pass, what did it mean? A steward remembered him as the former clerk of scales; an old program listed him as an official at Sandown. The mutuels manger recalled his being a film analyst. Much like searching a corn maze near Halloween, numerous avenues opened, but quickly closed, as I discovered he passed away in the 2000. Still, as that nickname became a mantra, the exploration moved with unrelenting curiosity.

At the outset of this investigation, ‘ground rules’ were set in motion: There would be no preconceived notions regarding this history. What was discovered would make the bulk of the story, not hearsay.

As luck would have it, it was our main cameraman who knew his daughter, and we got together in step one of this quest.

I met with his daughter, Donna, who helped me navigate the life of her father, Charles Ulrich. Along with a lengthy family review from memory, she provided me several personal contacts, and multiple years of yellowing newspaper articles and photos from the 50 plus years he was involved with the “family” of horse racing. From my fledgling experiences to her lifelong participation, A capable rider, with a lifetime record of 6805 starts 753-719-711, Charles Ulrich wore many “hats” during his 54 years at the races.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
tom
Grade 1

Congratulations!
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
RichieP
Grade 1

Thumbs up

Congratulations Tim!

I hope to be able to check it out when it comes!

Gobble Gobble!
RichieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
albatross
Grade 1

Smile Tim

Good job you got things working for ya.May your blessing get even bigger
albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:09 AM   #10
Vinnie
Grade 1

Congratulations Tim!

From reading the sample of your article that you provided here on this site, I really enjoy your writing style. Also, it is an awesome feat to have your article published. I am totally pumped for you.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Vinnie
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote