Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 04-17-2023, 03:33 PM   #1
Tim Y
turf historian

The funeral dirge

Having to witness great venues die on the vine over the past few years: Hollywood, Longacres (my favorite track all time), Bay Meadows. Arlington, Calder, Suffolk, etc., it pains me to report that Turf Paradise is up for sale and the prospective new owner announced that it will be closed for "redevelopment."

Scuttlebut, a few years back, suggested that with the fall in interest in horse racing, along side of the lower foal crop each year, that this might happen. It is really hard to believe that mismanagement killed such a thriving place like Hollywood, where I can recall ON TRCK attendance one Memorial Day at around 80,000.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:22 PM   #2
tom
Grade 1

It is a strong possibility that it will come down to either Pimlico or Laurel rather than both. And at Aqueduct, they are no longer buying green bananas.
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 10:41 AM   #3
DanBoals
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
Having to witness great venues die on the vine over the past few years: Hollywood, Longacres (my favorite track all time), Bay Meadows. Arlington, Calder, Suffolk, etc., it pains me to report that Turf Paradise is up for sale and the prospective new owner announced that it will be closed for "redevelopment."
Longacres was wonderful. I was stationed at Ft. Lewis from 1990 to 1992, and would go there when I had a day off. I remember every time when Captain Condo would race, he was a come from behind, class act, and the crowd was always in awe when he would kick it into high gear and pass the field. This was the track that really gave me a love for horse racing.

Hollywood Park was my favorite venue of all time. I was working as a software developer in LA in the 90's and would go there. My daughter loved the little pond in the in field where a princess on a swan boat would wave to the people. My friend would take my daughter down to the finish line when the horses would thunder by and it was always a good time for my daughter. The racing there was always top notch and the service was head and shoulders above Santa Anita. I felt it was well run and popular, I was crushed when they closed.

Bay Meadows. Arlington, and Calder Race Course were all tracks I enjoyed watching and wagering on.

My mom now lives down in Phoenix and while I have not had a chance to visit Turf Paradise yet, I was hoping to play there in years to come when I went to visit my mom.

Horse racing provides a lot a jobs for the community, not to mention taxes. Not just taxes on the wagers, but on all the salaries, all the sales of hotel rooms to visitors, the gas people drive to and from track and the food people eat at the track and surrounding restaurants. The grooms, security guards, concession stand operators, ticket sellers, trainers, jockeys, etc. adds up to a lot of jobs. I think states that have a tradition of horse racing are stupid to let it go.

I saw someone post NYRA limits last minute bets by the syndicates in the final two minutes before the race. I do not know if this is true, but if it is, it is a step in the right direction. Nothing frustrates the small bettor like having their 4-1 win wager drop to even money as their horse takes the lead coming into the stretch. Horse racing does not live and die by the whales, but by the recreational bettor. The whales do not visit the tracks, they do not give their money to the track's locale, they only discourage other bettors and drive them from the sport. I think limiting electronic bets over a given size in the last two minutes before post would help other tracks to survive. Unfortunately, our country has a get what you can now mentality that fails to look at long term consequences and I am not sure that that type of thinking is going to help horse racing to survive.

I hope Turf Paradise survives, but after the other great tracks you mentioned went under, I am not counting on it.
DanBoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 02:41 PM   #4
Tim Y
turf historian

The developer promised that it will take time to work out all the details of the transition, so if you get down here in the net few years you may get to enjoy it.
Old 04-21-2023, 06:52 AM   #5
Jimmy R
Grade 1

I lived off of Bell Rd. on the west side of Phoenix. We head over to TP to catch my FIL's races and make Derby & BC bets even though I had an online account. I still remember hitting the ~$650 tri when Funny Cide won.
The track reminded me a lot like Atlantic City. Hope it survives!
Old 04-21-2023, 05:39 PM   #6
Tim Y
turf historian

The only other thoroughbred meeting in the state (Arizona Downs in Prescott, aka Yavapi Downs) failed to apply for 2023 racing dates: an indication of its fate as well. It is on the same chopping block as TuP.

In one fell swoop a long long tradition of thoroughbred racing will be wiped out
Old 04-29-2023, 12:41 PM   #7
Tim Y
turf historian

UPDATES: Forgot little Rillito in Tucson. It is used as a training facility for the U. of Arizona Racetrack Management Program and runs about 4 weeks per year. It might survive.

ODD thing: I was talking to a security guard the other day at Tup, when Mary and I went out to see a friend's horse WIN (maiden in 4th lifetime start). I asked him:" If this place is sold,how come all the new paint, new roofing, and new landscaping all over?" He told me that all the particulars in the sale have not shown any SPECIFIC moves and with the possibility of a local tribe opening a card room, there is a very outside chance the place will stay open for quite awhile