Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 10-20-2008, 06:22 AM   #31
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post
Hi Barb

Richie has put us on track i think

No no no!

Morning Charlie
All I have done is throw something out there after having used all the "battleship" programs on the market before RDSS came to life.

Bill V has it right on the button when he says that maybe a "best ever" auto type line selection could be an option along with the Sartin "best of last 3 comparable" auto selector.

I would definitely use THAT (bl3 comp) as the default out of a show of respect for Howard and also cause it works just fine thank you

Let's review something for a minute for a perspective on how other packages present the race upon opening.

HSH - uses composites which are made up of things from the last FOUR races

Jcapper - program defaults and line selector is best of last 5 races within 120 days

Htr - "Pl5" is default line selector which focuses on last 5 races. Will use 1 or 2 lines to generate reads and will "think" a bit on lines being used. This thing "thinks" about what it is doing.

Black Magic - default line (s) selector is "O.P.M." which stands for
Obvious
Poor
Money
This is the other line selector that "thinks" about what it is doing/ Will stick pigs and obvious horses with last couple of lines (if not just the last line). Then find some potential value horses (not going further here out of respect to MP) and opens their form cycle all the way using best line shown in pp's.

FWIW the only 2 software's (to the best of my knowledge)that have had winners of a NATIONAL tourney with prizes of over 50 K to the winner acknowledged as their choice are HTR and Black Magic.

Could CREATIVE THINKING have anything to do with this?

The caveat is that after one is "presented" with a first look from say an auto line selector we the user then have the job of "overseeing" or "examining" what we are being given. We don't like something we change it. We like it it is left alone.

Safe day and GREAT hit Clore at Belmont!!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:07 AM   #32
barb craven
Grade 1

Morning Charlie

I'm only using it as one of the things I'm looking at when I'm analyzing past races to try to find out WHY??

Morning Richie.
As usual you make my head swirl with all your ideas.

Morning Bill
I've been following your teaching of your binder improver method. Couldn't be clearer. You are a good teacher. I like your "house" too.

Back to work.

Barb
Old 10-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #33
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

Richie

Quote:

Yes and this should be encouraged

Barb

Use whatever works for you , remember

Quote:
There are NO RULES to the Methodology, only guidelines
Jim "The HAT" Bradshaw
Old 10-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #34
RichieP
Grade 1

use 5f lines in 5 and 5.f races only unless specific horse just broke mdn in last race and that was 5f (example)

keep within distance structure - sprint/sprint route/route (consider 7f as both sprint and route).

use sloppy,muddy,wet lines fast only on off tracks.

Fast and good lines on fast tracks

Turf routes to turf routes

Turf sprints accept BOTH turf/dirt sprint lines

consider top Cpr and all lines within 1/2 point of that top. If multiple lines use them all and take line best ranked on Bl/Bl (thats your computer matchup as Bill V has said!)

Beaten lengths finish can vary to your preferences on what is "good race"

That would be Richie's auto paceline selector preferences using "Best Cpr". What would be YOURS? Ideas?

Then a check of recent races to oversee whats going on

Stay cool
Old 10-20-2008, 10:43 AM   #35
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

Richie seems a "creative thinking" type of person to me

Without Bill's "creative thinking" we probably would not have the Binder Improver or PaceandCap

Without Captain Ted's "creative thinking" we probably would not have RDSS

I think Doc and others like him would encourage these "creative thinkers" as without Doc's "creative thinking" we probably would not have the Methodology or The Match Up,

Without Pizzola's creative thinking we may not have Black Magic, Without Ken Massa's creative thinking we may not have HTR and so on

Creative thinking has to be encouraged

Last edited by Charlie D; 10-20-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #36
Profiler8
Grade 1

Hi,

Very good concept !
Well, should I use the best rating, when it is over a year back or should I consider the best CPR on it last 5 lines ?

Thanks...

Greetings
Tim
Old 10-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #37
clore1030
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post

The caveat is that after one is "presented" with a first look from say an auto line selector we the user then have the job of "overseeing" or "examining" what we are being given. We don't like something we change it. We like it it is left alone.

Safe day and GREAT hit Clore at Belmont!!
Thanks Richie - and special thanks to Tim Y who kept trumpeting the idea of the Pizzola window approach to turf races.

I think that regardless of whether an auto-line is implemented, one must always use creative thinking. I'm not ready yet to provide any data as I'm just beginning to utilize an approach, but I have been using some creative thinking myself and tracking results for the last few days at Belmont.

It's a dirt race approach that combines Charlie's idea of using the best line along with the best of the last three. I just have to determine the proper barometer.

Consider it this way - you take the best line of the last three, and note the speed rating. Is it the horses best of all races showing? If so, use it.

If not, and it falls within a certain threshold of the horses best, then use that line.

So, let's say the best of the last three is an 86 speed rating. But the horse shows a 90 further down the past performances. That's a 4 point difference and maybe the horse is close enough to that number to repeat that effort.

The 4 point difference is thrown out for example purposes - the thing I'm looking for is what the ideal point spread should be to make one opt for going past the last three comparable.

I'm not even sure if the speed rating should be the barometer. Maybe it's through using the perceptor rating that I'll discover something valuable. A horse could have a #2 ranked perceptor line within the last three - is there any validity in using the top-ranked perceptor line if the second best is within recency?

It's a matter of trying to use the last three to determine if the horse is capable of firing its best - if the best isn't within the last three.

This will probably take me a while to accomplish as I only play one track and have minimal skills with building a data base. But I am tossing this out in case anyone else wants to consider it as an approach, or has tried it already and can tell me if I'm, dare I say it, beating a dead horse.

I'm just working on the premise that no matter what something is, it can be made better. It may be my need for ego-fulfillment, but I'd like to contribute to making something better. If it makes my wallet thicker, that makes it better.