Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 01-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
How does the #1 horse qualify to race in this field?

Here are the conditions and PPs for the 1 horse. Horse won maiden and NW1X, has never started for a claiming price. I cannot see how the horse can face this field and would appreciate an explanation of these conditions and how the horse is eligible.

Thanks,
Bill
Attached Images

Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

Other than

I would like to take a crack at this answer Bill

kind of like a public test

The key in the conditions is the wording

Has never won a race OTHER THAN .....

Thats the trick. for years I read it as has never ran in a claiming race
or any of the other conditions
But basically A horse can get into this as long as it has not won a stakes race or a claiming race valued at over 50,000

So as long as your a 3 year old Fillie
and have started for a claiming price of 50.000 or less or have not won an optional claiming price of 50,000 you can run in this race
So This horse has a maiden win which is ok
It has an alowance win which is OK
It ran in a OC 75 with a 55000 purse
so even though it ran in the higher
price than 50000 it has never won at that level

Hope thats it
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Bill, thanks for your input:

there are several issues I have with the language of the conditions:
1. The horse has never started for any claiming price less than $50,000;
2. The allowance race it won was obviously not the maiden win, it was not a claiming win, and it was not an optional claimer like the last race back; unless they classify first level allowance races as being equal to $50,000 claiming (which I have seen referenced in the past)

This horse is the only one in this race that has won beyond the maiden ranks and would appear to have an advantage if allowed to start.

Again,

Many thanks,

Bill
Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
For The Lead
Grade 1

First, let’s take a look at the race conditions as they appear in Equibase.

The first thing they says is, “Starter Optional Claiming $50,000”.
Sometimes you will see a similar condition that says, “Allowance Optional Claiming $xx,xxx”.
As an example, here are the conditions for the 8th race at PRX on 1.15.13.
Name:  prx8th1.15.JPG
Views: 588
Size:  40.3 KB
In one case it is called a “Starter” and the other an “Allowance”. They both go on to say “Optional Claiming” with a specified claiming price, whatever it may be.
So, the idea is this. You can enter your horse to be claimed for the specified price OR NOT.

With that in mind, let’s go over the condition in question.
The condition is in two parts. It starts by saying...
1 - “For Fillies three years old which have started for a claiming price of $50,000 or less AND which have never won a race other than maiden or claiming, OR
2 – claiming price $50,000.
Here is the Equibase condition.
Name:  GP5TH1.16.JPG
Views: 549
Size:  51.6 KB

Therefore, in the case of the #1 horse, has this horse been entered to be claimed for $50,000?
A little research reveals that in its' last race it was entered to be claimed. Here is the chart.
Name:  gp12.16r6.JPG
Views: 575
Size:  186.1 KB

If so, that it how it is eligible to run in this race, even with the 2 wins, just like it was in its' last race.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
Bill V.
The egg man

Bill about The alowance win, further down in the conditions
Races for 30000 and less not considered .....

Name:  yellow.PNG
Views: 555
Size:  17.9 KB
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Bud and Bill,
Thanks for the explanation, but I am still mystified, but its okay.

"Therefore, in the case of the #1 horse, has this horse been entered to be claimed for $50,000?"

Well, I guess I will have to chalk this one up to faith because it seems that the answer to the question is "No, this horse has not been entered to be claimed for $50,000"

Thanks,

Bill
Old 01-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
sureshotlink
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lyster View Post
Bud and Bill,

"Therefore, in the case of the #1 horse, has this horse been entered to be claimed for $50,000?"

Well, I guess I will have to chalk this one up to faith because it seems that the answer to the question is "No, this horse has not been entered to be claimed for $50,000"

Thanks,

Bill
Thank you guy's for bringing the race to my attention.Not only was this charge class of the field it has velocity figs to match.Made my prime wager of the day....Took a gutsy ride from torres to get the money but at 5-2 was a great play!!

tks!

sureshotlink
los angeles,ca
sureshotlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lyster View Post
Bud and Bill,

Thanks,

Bill
It has nothing to do with "faith", Bill, it only has to do with the conditions.

How did you reach the conclusion that the #1 horse was NOT entered to be claimed?

It is the ONLY WAY the horse qualifies for the race, just as I laid it out in my post above.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
For The Lead
Grade 1

GP 1.16.13 5th race chart

Here's the chart from the 5th at GP today. I have marked it up so you can compare it to the horse's last race chart (above) from 12.16.12.

Notice that in BOTH RACES it was entered to be CLAIMED.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Bud:

I did not have a problem with the fact that Rhythm Queen was entered TODAY for $50,000, I just read the conditions as restricting who could race based on what happened BEFORE today.

If this horse had won a $40,000 claimer after its maiden win or several races at claiming prices less than $30,000 I could understand how it qualified for this race.

The horse had run 4 races in its career before this race. RQ's 1st two races were MSW races, then NW1X, then OC where it could be claimed for $75,000. So in my interpretation this horse has not started in a race with a claiming tag of $50,000 or less (again unless you count today's race). The "AND" part of the condition seems to have been violated as well, since the horse won the NW1X race where the stated purse was $30,000. I looked up that chart and the purse value for non Florida breds was really $25,000.

The parenthetical comment after the claiming price says "Races entered for $30,000 or less not considered". I read that as being entered for a claiming price of $30,000, not purse value. Is that correct? If they mean purse value it puts an entirely different meaning to the words I have been interpreting for a long time.

Bill