Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions) Racing Decision Support System - The NEW Version 2.2

Old 04-30-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
Rivegauche610
AlwNW3X

A question

Hello, Bill,

I've been a mainstream handicapper for many years, but have always kept the Methodology in the repertoire. In fact, I created a spreadsheet many years ago into which I input the raw data and the result is a matrix of AP/EP/SP/FX numbers in an organized way. Now that I have more time to devote to racing, I am going to "rent" the RDSS and use the Trackmaster files and go the next steps in complexity.

I have been using BRISnet Ultimate PPs for many years and find they are full of much information that "Pace Makes the Race" requires, such as track profiles, running styles and even a suggestion to track-to-track adjustments one can infer through some of their newer data point such as "race shapes".

So the question is one I don't see here: has anyone ever offered the RDSS in an OS X version? We are an Apple family, but my son has a high-end Windows system for gaming. If RDSS is solely a Windows application, I will be appropriating some space on his HD and some time in front of his monitor! (He sleeps till noon on Saturdays and Sundays anyway!)

I am alternatively considering simply creating a Windows partition on an external drive and running RDSS from there, but I'm not sure if it can be done. Who is the hardware compatibility expert in these forums please?

I'm eager to delve deeper into this. I have already begun looking at videos and reading material here, and I have been to the Equibase web pages about RDSS. I've also read just about all the texts by all the major writers on handicapping (I just enjoy reading about it), including Modern Pace Handicapping (several times, from which I derived my spreadsheet design) and both editions of Pace Makes the Race. (I even have Pizzola's "Handicapping Magic" but it depended on data that no longer exists, I believe.)

Best regards,

Kevin
Rivegauche610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:36 PM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

Moved

Hi Kevin,
Welcome to pace and cap . I did not want your post to get lost in my Woodbine post ,
I moved your post over here . Hopefully Ted knows more about your questions
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
Bill S
AlwNW3X

I'm an Apple guy too and I would love to run RDSS on my iMac but the only way to do that is to partition the drive and install windows, then run RDSS via the windows partition on your mac. Not enough mac users I guess to make it worth Ted's time to port it over to OS X.

What I did was bought an HP all in one Pavillion windows PC for about $400 brand new and ran RDSS on that. You could put Windows on your iMac but you'd have to buy windows anyway and then something like Parallels if you didn't want to do a total dual boot like BootCamp would do. After you did all that you'd spend almost the same amount you would on a stand alone windows PC.

Now I'm running RDSS on a Surface Pro 4 Win10 tablet and it runs better on that than the desktop PC due to the electronic hard drive. With a standard hard drive RDSS was taking about 60 to 90 seconds to unpack a downloaded file, but on the tablet it takes less than 10 seconds due to the electronic drive. Put a wireless mouse on the tablet and you have the full functionality of a desktop Windows based PC. You can do everything the same.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
Brian Chamberlain
RDSS Student

I use Parallels on my iMac running Windows 10 and RDSS very effectively, in fact fewer issues than the HP it replaced. What I like is that I can run my Apple programs with my dual screens, no issues at all.
Brian Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote