Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 05-31-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
alydar_ David
Grade 1

Pick 6 king Lerner honored at Churchill

Color me cynical, but I have a hard time swallowing this. The normal bet to hit a Pick6 is $4?

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...d+at+Churchill

Sunday was Howard Lerner Day at Churchill Downs.

The track honored the Louisville attorney, Turf Club and Gold Room member and self-proclaimed curmudgeon who is famous for hitting Pick Sixes while investing only a few dollars.

Looking dapper in his pink-and-white striped Oxfords and celery-green jacket, the 71-year-old Lerner was surrounded by friends and family in a crowded winner's circle presentation for the sixth race, named the "Mr. Pick 6 presented by Howard Lerner," with many of his Gold Room colleagues cheering him on from the outside.

Lerner beamed as he presented the trophy to trainer Mike Tomlinson and jockey Calvin Borel, even though he hadn't bet on their $19.20 winner, Lady Witha Secret.

"You know, it's kind of hard to bet on a day like this," Lerner said. "This is a great honor, and I appreciate it. And I think they ought to find other people they can honor as well, because it makes the track really look good."

Lerner said he has hit 56 Pick Sixes, never investing more than $16. "And that was only on one of them," he said. "The normal bet is $4. That's five singles and two (selections) in the last race."

Said Churchill Downs Inc. vice president Tom Aronson: "People like Howard are special to the horse-racing business, and special to racetracks like Churchill Downs. I love the idea of every now and then singling them out and letting people know who they are."
alydar_ David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

Read this over at PA David and what stood out to me was the information of amount or amounts won is missing. Now, there may be a valid reason for this, but i found the omission of this information a bit strange for a redboarder, as they normally like to tell everyone how much they won.

Last edited by Charlie D; 05-31-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote