Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Selections
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Selections Post Your Picks - 1 race or a card

Old 08-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #41
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latekick View Post
Sick that another third choice contender gets there paying $37 in the second.... That's the way it goes sometimes.
THAT is why you evaluate the contenders based upon ODDS not any further handicapping idea.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:18 PM   #42
Latekick
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
THAT is why you evaluate the contenders based upon ODDS not any further handicapping idea.
Thanks
Latekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #43
Lt1
Grade 1

Hey Grant in race 2 the odds on all your horses were so good[16-1,17-1,37-1] that a 3 horse dutch bet might have been made. Fortunately I had my model to help with the betting decision. The 5 had a %med to high for win at 7f. Its weak 3f was also a concern. 2 other things that made me lean toward the 12 were improving speed ratings and improving finish positions in its last 3. I also use Bris pps so I look at the pars for the race. I find these very useful. Only the 12 had run par in all 4 areas. The 9 had 2 and the 5 only 1. That sealed the deal for me. Went 12 &9 although I noted the trainer of the 9 is 0 for 23 at the meet. Enjoy the rest of your time at the Spa.
Tim
Lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:00 PM   #44
Latekick
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1 View Post
Hey Grant in race 2 the odds on all your horses were so good[16-1,17-1,37-1] that a 3 horse dutch bet might have been made. Fortunately I had my model to help with the betting decision. The 5 had a %med to high for win at 7f. Its weak 3f was also a concern. 2 other things that made me lean toward the 12 were improving speed ratings and improving finish positions in its last 3. I also use Bris pps so I look at the pars for the race. I find these very useful. Only the 12 had run par in all 4 areas. The 9 had 2 and the 5 only 1. That sealed the deal for me. Went 12 &9 although I noted the trainer of the 9 is 0 for 23 at the meet. Enjoy the rest of your time at the Spa.
Tim
Hey Tim! Glad to hear you were able to connect on the race. It's interesting you say that about the 3 horse dutch because i did make that bet with my own cash, i was, however, a bit frustrated with the fact that i had him as a contender and not a top two on here! Thats the way it goes sometimes though!

Good luck tomorrow!
Old 08-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #45
Latekick
Grade 1

Record: 3-11
Amount wagered: $44
Amount returned: $28

Two pricy alternates in two days, things have to turn up today, RIGHT!?
Old 08-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #46
Latekick
Grade 1

Friday August 19th

Had a great dinner with some pretty timeless guys last night. Listening to stories of Point Given, and one of the guys being face to face with Pharoah right before he won the Belmont, was pretty cool.

The two races today will be Saratoga 5th, and Saratoga 6th.

Saratoga 5th:
My first selection is going to be the horse right on top, #4 TRANSPARENT.
A very interesting horse who his first start in just under two months. If he can run back to some of his races when he was firing on all cylinders, he will be very dangerous here. There are a few question marks with this horse but to me it just looks like he may be able to beat up on this field. 7/2 ML.

My next choice is #1 DOYOUKNOWSIMETHING. This is a very straightforward race in my opinion. With the correct line selection and contender selection, the best horses should show up near the top on readouts, and i believe that this race is straightforward enough to use the top two horses with acceptable odds. My handicapping process is done through contender selection, and line selection. After that it is just a few specific things to look for on the readouts and make final selections from there. This race is clear to me. The #1 made a nice run off of a shorter layoff last out. I think he will improve again this tine out and if he runs back to his three back race he is going to be tough.

Contenders: 1-2-4
Top Two: 1-4

Saratoga 6th:
Here is a race where i think there could be some value.
My first choice is going to be #9 FIRE STARTER. I toss his race last time out on the dirt and use the line two back. That line puts him right on top. I am not concerned with the class drop. He uses his energy late, and is well ranked in both LP, TT, and HID. All good signs of a horse who will be able to dominate the field late in the race. 6/1 ML.

My next choice is #11 ELROI.
He is a horse who launches his rally from very far back, i use him here because its tough for me to make a case for using anyone else using their energy late. The #7 had a clear lead twice and gave in, ranked awful in HID for a late energy horse. The #3 always hangs in the stretch. Awfully ranked in LPR and HID. This race looks like it may just be a bunch of horses staggering own the lane and if that is the case, ELROI is my choice at 12/1 ML.

Contenders: 9-11
Top Two: 9-11
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #47
Latekick
Grade 1

Going to cheat a little today, amazing card with so much value.
Im adding two more races today quickly with all of this value.
Race 7: 8-5-2
Race 9: 11-5-8
Old 08-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #48
Latekick
Grade 1

scratch in the 6th. ELROI out.
Play will now be 3-9
Old 08-19-2016, 04:05 PM   #49
Lt1
Grade 1

Good luck today Grant. Just got in from West Virginia so didn't get a chance to look at the card.
Tim
Lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:32 PM   #50
Latekick
Grade 1

Thanks Tim. Unfortunate second in the 7th at 15/1. Thats just how its been going with this. My contest play is doing well, just my spot plays here seem to be failing! Thats okay, it will even out sooner or later!
Good Luck!