Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

Configuration, How many change this?

I am curious about this setting, as I have until recently left it where it was originally set, the default setting I guess. It is also something that changes everything, including the New Pace horse's, as well as the "Comp Spd " rating also on the New Pace screen, and as far as I know it is not found anywhere else, on any screen what so ever. I ahve included 4 screens to show what my settings show for Thursday race 9 at Churchill.

I have been working with a few people who seem to think that "Comp Spd" is a pretty great way to find contenders, and only using the top 3 with very good results. Now with changes in the Daily Track Variants, as I believe he uses 100% and then set the sliding scale at 50, where I use 50% and set mine at -15 and +15 roughly. I saw this on Ted's machine and well after his 200.00 winner I thought why not, no I changed it when I PM'ed him about it and he suggested making a post to ask everyone what they use and why, some may even use Val4 Emulation.

Now using the last line Pre-selector I see the 2 bottom horse's on the BL/BL screen were the 2 NP horses 5 and 7 , and the top 3 "Comp Spd" are 2,4,and 11 , I will be interested in how this plays out, as this is not my way of capping this race , just posting some screens and noticed it.

I do hope we get some responses for this as even Ted was curious about this , thank you all

Patrick
Attached Images

pktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by pktruckdriver View Post
I am curious about this setting, as I have until recently left it where it was originally set, the default setting I guess. It is also something that changes everything, including the New Pace horse's, as well as the "Comp Spd " rating also on the New Pace screen, and as far as I know it is not found anywhere else, on any screen what so ever. I ahve included 4 screens to show what my settings show for Thursday race 9 at Churchill.

I have been working with a few people who seem to think that "Comp Spd" is a pretty great way to find contenders, and only using the top 3 with very good results. Now with changes in the Daily Track Variants, as I believe he uses 100% and then set the sliding scale at 50, where I use 50% and set mine at -15 and +15 roughly. I saw this on Ted's machine and well after his 200.00 winner I thought why not, no I changed it when I PM'ed him about it and he suggested making a post to ask everyone what they use and why, some may even use Val4 Emulation.

Now using the last line Pre-selector I see the 2 bottom horse's on the BL/BL screen were the 2 NP horses 5 and 7 , and the top 3 "Comp Spd" are 2,4,and 11 , I will be interested in how this plays out, as this is not my way of capping this race , just posting some screens and noticed it.

I do hope we get some responses for this as even Ted was curious about this , thank you all

Patrick
Patrick,

My feedback is................

If I understand your post correctly are you saying that changing the config settings also changes the Comp Speed and New Pace #'s as well ? If you have noticed this I am surprised because.............

The CSR (Comparative Speed Rating) is based ONLY on the Original or adjusted speed rating. It is basically a weighted average over the entire listed PP of the horse with a weighted emphasis on the horses's last 4 races.
It is understandable that the CSR will throw out different numbers based on whether or not you use the original SR or the adjusted Sr but I don't see how the CSR will change if you use different config settings. In fact I tested this over a few races by changing the config settings and I saw no changes in the CSR. So if you have evidence of this please post 4 screens: The first 2 screens (before changes) showing the config settings and the CSR numbers and the (after changes) also showing the config settings CSR numbers).

Similarly with the New Pace numbers...which as I understand is also computed independently of the Config settings.

As far as using the CSR top 3 numbers to handicap....I noticed that many times
that one or more horses with the top three CSR are ITM. This is understandable if you use RDSS and your best of last 3 paceline selection is based on the top SR. I also noticed the early speed horse, which frequently finishes ITM does NOT always have a CSR in the top 3.

The original intent, as per Dave Schwartz, was to use the CSR to break ties.
So the only way to determine the profitibilty of the CSR is to go through another large sample race study.

Ernie
SilentRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
rmath
Grade 1

Silent Run, When you check your comp #s using different settings you will get the same #s you got from your original settings UNLESS you delete the stored files for each card you wish to check. No matter what you do the program always uses the settings that the race was entered into first and stored in the cache.
Mike Sal had a huge perfecta at Mnr a few weeks ago and I only had the winner, but when I reran the race using 100 DTV after emptying the cache and rerunning the race NP also had the place horse in the 4 horses.
What Patrick is talking about is correct for both NP & the COMP #s.
I am one of the ones he mentioned in his post.
At CD so far using 100 DTV the top 5 comp have been winning 93% of the races with at least 7 or more entries.
All my other settings are default settings.
Richard
rmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmath View Post
Silent Run, When you check your comp #s using different settings you will get the same #s you got from your original settings UNLESS you delete the stored files for each card you wish to check. No matter what you do the program always uses the settings that the race was entered into first and stored in the cache.
Mike Sal had a huge perfecta at Mnr a few weeks ago and I only had the winner, but when I reran the race using 100 DTV after emptying the cache and rerunning the race NP also had the place horse in the 4 horses.
What Patrick is talking about is correct for both NP & the COMP #s.
I am one of the ones he mentioned in his post.
At CD so far using 100 DTV the top 5 comp have been winning 93% of the races with at least 7 or more entries.
All my other settings are default settings.
Richard
Thanks a lot for this info......I didn't realize you had to delete the stored files.

Ernie
Old 05-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
rmath
Grade 1

Ernie, I did not know it either until I talked to Ted.
You are welcome.
I was not going to post my findings until I had at least 300 or more races, but the findings so far I felt should be shared.
Good luck to any and all who use them.
I hope that others will keep records on other tracks and post them so we can all benefit .
Richard
rmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree

Keeping records on the CSR performance is a good idea. I will contribute whatever I could.

Ernie
Old 05-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

I guess I learned something too, that you must totally delete the previous card to rerun it with different numbers, that would take one person some time to do, where working in groups of 2-3 we could run the settings for the same cards and see the difference.

For me on Derby Day I had the winner as a swing horse in Newpace with my settings, yet way down on the "Comp Spd" numbers, too far to be a contender, yet I believe rrmath did have him as a contender with his numbers set his way.

93% winners in the top 5 while to me is great, I also think narrowing it down to to the top 3 and still getting 70-80%, now that is worth doing and then seeing what particular races are even doing better, such a sprints, work best so far, no turf or FTS races.

Now yes I may get some flack for acknowledging the "Comp Spd" is on the New Pace Screen, I say so what if it works it works, finding a 4 leave clover in a clover patch is always possible when you look long enough and hard enough.

Last year, I used the default settings and did very well, when disciplined to play, playable races, and force the issue, such and contest races and such, then I had many dis-appointing days, otherwise I trusted RDSS completely the way it came to me, now I have adjusted a bit, and I feel a little uneasy, as I felt "It" before I changed my settings, sometimes, now , not so often, conclusion, find a few people who would take part in a few studies of 1-3 tracks, maximum, (at least for me as I am out on the road driving still , 6-7 days out, then 1-2 days off), but doing a few tracks should be doable still.

Currently we are doing CD

I wish to look at Finger Lakes, Woodbine, and of course for me NYRA.

I see Mtr is covered by a few people already, and for me I use Mtr as my night time fun track, when I have time to relax and play for fun, and listen to Nancy and Mt. Man

Maybe Ted could help us to re-run our cards more easily and do the different settings ourselves, maybe ... maybe not. But either way the "Comp Spd" numbers seem to have at least in the small numbers we have , show some promise, guess time and more data will tell us more.

Patrick
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Some clarifications:

1. NewPace numbers can be based on either the TrackMaster Speed Rating, or on the Adjusted Speed Rating. Patrick's examples first posted above are based on the TrackMaster SR (according to the caption above the horizontal bars). You cannot make any changes to the TrackMaster SR by ANY settings.

2. The Adjusted SR, which is displayed on most screens throughout the program can be changed depending on Configuration Settings you choose: what percentage of the DTV to include (100% 50% 0%), whether or not to included the TrackMaster ITV, the Mode (Val4 or Default) and what range of DTV you will accept (i.e. set the 'sliders').

3. The Composite Speed Rating, which appears (currently) only on the NewPace screen is based on the Adjusted SR only (and not on the TrackMaster SR), and thus can be modified by whatever Configuration Settings you choose. It is a weighted composite of the last 4 valid Adjusted SRs, with more weight given to more recent lines.

As pointed out above, if you want to change Configuration Settings and rerun the figures, you must clear that race from the Cache first, otherwise the existing figures will simply be re-displayed and your changed Configuration Settings will be ignored. (Use the Cache Mgmt button, drill down to the folder representing the race in question, delete it).

I suppose it would be proper that when a change is made to Configuration Settings that the current race should be prompted to be re-assembled. However, you could have dozens or hundreds of other races previously calculated with various settings. Currently, it is up to the user to keep track of these differences in settings, if you are changing the defaults and keeping separate workups of differently derived numbers.

Ultimately, different sets of numbers for each race will co-exist if you want them, and the Settings basis for each displayed for your (and others') reference. Right now that doesn't happen.

I have not seen any formal, large, workups of Composite SR (and any workup would have to include the Settings basis for the Adjusted SR used). And so I don't know its real utility as a broad contender factor. Which is why it is still sequestered on the NewPace screen (i.e. unproven usefulness).

In my own personal work, I use the following Configuration Settings:

1. All the defaults
2. DTV range: -15 ... +15
3. NewPace: based on Adjusted SRs (when I refer to it, which is only casually)

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

Hello Ted, thanks for your reply, may I ask further explanation on this point, please. You state the last 4 valid Adjusted SRs, what makes it Valid, is it just any last 4 races, or does it look for sprint/surface to distuingish the validity?

Quote:
3. The Composite Speed Rating, which appears (currently) only on the NewPace screen is based on the Adjusted SR only (and not on the TrackMaster SR), and thus can be modified by whatever Configuration Settings you choose. It is a weighted composite of the last 4 valid Adjusted SRs, with more weight given to more recent lines.
I also wanted the clarification that the Newpace numbers you use are the Adjusted SRs, not what I am using above which are regular Trackmaster SR's, which would give us both different NP contedner's am I right? Also it would change the "Comp Spd " figures too, would it not?

Also if I wanted to go back to the defaults, just hit restore defaults, and it will also slide the DTV back out to -50 and +50, and then close and re-open and every card I run from the reset, forward, will be the restored numbers and if I open an older card, then it would have the previous run numbers on it, correct?

Man I wish I made the party last weekend, it sure looks like you had fun, and that is all that matters, have fun and enjoy the day.

Patrick
Old 05-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pktruckdriver View Post
Hello Ted, thanks for your reply, may I ask further explanation on this point, please. You state the last 4 valid Adjusted SRs, what makes it Valid, is it just any last 4 races, or does it look for sprint/surface to distuingish the validity?

Any Adjusted SR which is non 0 or non blank.

I also wanted the clarification that the Newpace numbers you use are the Adjusted SRs, correct not what I am using above which are regular Trackmaster SR's, which would give us both different NP contedner's am I right? correct Also it would change the "Comp Spd " figures too, would it not? incorrect - Composite SRs are based on Adjusted SRs, and related Configuration Settings. Your and my Comp SRs are the same, given the same Configuration Settings.

Also if I wanted to go back to the defaults, just hit restore defaults, and it will also slide the DTV back out to -50 and +50, and then close and re-open and every card I run from the reset, forward, will be the restored numbers and if I open an older card, then it would have the previous run numbers on it, correct? correct

Man I wish I made the party last weekend, it sure looks like you had fun, and that is all that matters, have fun and enjoy the day. Mum enjoyed your birthday card very much - thank you for that! You missed a nice cake!

Patrick

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote