Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 03-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
For The Lead
Grade 1

GG 5th 3.23.13

I am not " a matcher" in the traditional sense of Jim Bradshaw. That does not mean, however, I don't match horses.

If I recall correctly, in a race where there are no early horses, the matcher's guideline is to look for a presser that runs close to the pace to be the early horse in the race. I'm not here to agree with or dispute that line of thinking, I just wanted to get the theory out there.

When you look at a horse's PP's and see where it has, from time to time, made the lead in a race, is that because it is an early horse or was it a presser type in a race with no early horses? (do you see why I wanted to get the above theory out there?)

In the 5th race at GG there are just "2" early horses...#4 and #6. That's it. All the other horses that might be viewed as early types are just "inner's and outer's". Sometimes they make the lead and sometimes they don't. It depends on the make up of the horses in those respective races. Since there are 2 "confirmed" early horses in this race, we can safely concluded that those "inner's and outer's" will not be a part of the early pace today. Now, if we can ascertain which of the early horses is the fastest to the first call, there is a good chance that horse can "wire" the field. In this case the #4 horse fits the bill.

I once asked a member of this site why he thought every race was going to run "OTE". His reply was straight forward and to the point. He said, "because I don't know how to pick early horses".