Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You?
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Hat Check - How Can We Help You? Jim 'The Hat' Bradshaw - Learn The Matchup

Old 04-25-2008, 04:47 PM   #21
Rverge
Grade 1

My sympathies to the Bradshaw family.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:47 PM   #22
RichieP
Grade 1

Tales of the Hat

2 quick stories from Jim:

1) Doc and Jimmy were in Vegas for a seminar. After they spoke Doc is approached by 2 men in the lobby. They start breaking Doc's chops about not believing a word he said and challenged Doc to a contest picking horses for a thousand dollars. Doc said he would agree on 3 conditions.
a) they could bet 2 horses
b) he could have Jimmy Bradshaw pick the horses as his partner
c) they would play for 5 thousand dollars
The 2 men looked at one another then turned around and walked away not uttering another word

2) Before simulcasting Jim and a couple of friends would sometimes fly in a small plane to a track for a day or 2 of wagering. They would each kick in like 50 bucks or something to the pilot for gas etc. Pilot was a friend who had his own plane. Jimmy called him "Chicken Hawk" Well this Chicken Hawk also liked the bottle a bit.

They all fly to a track to bet and have a good day making well over several hundred dollars profit after expenses. They all do a bit of drinking including ol Mr. Chicken Hawk. As they are flying back home that night they run into a vicious storm. It's snowing and visibility is like 0. Next thing Chicken Hawk leaves his pilot seat and comes into the back carrying a practically empty fifth of bourbon. Jimmy goes nuts and says "Who the hell is flying the dang plane?"

CH says not to worry the auto pilot is on and with that takes another swig of the bottle. Jimmy says to him "get your ass back up front and fly the damn plane. If we make it back safely I am gonna beat you down when we land".

They make it and upon landing Hat wants a piece of ol CH!! before he has a chance to act his friend(Jonesy?) reaches over and grabs Hat stopping what was sure to be a "tussle" as Jim described it!

Old 04-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #23
grahors
Grade 1

From my family to Jim's...sincere condolences and thoughts.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #24
lsosa54
Grade 1

Great stories, Rich. Keep 'em coming - it's a great way to celebrate Jim's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post
2 quick stories from Jim:

1) Doc and Jimmy were in Vegas for a seminar. After they spoke Doc is approached by 2 men in the lobby. They start breaking Doc's chops about not believing a word he said and challenged Doc to a contest picking horses for a thousand dollars. Doc said he would agree on 3 conditions.
a) they could bet 2 horses
b) he could have Jimmy Bradshaw pick the horses as his partner
c) they would play for 5 thousand dollars
The 2 men looked at one another then turned around and walked away not uttering another word

2) Before simulcasting Jim and a couple of friends would sometimes fly in a small plane to a track for a day or 2 of wagering. They would each kick in like 50 bucks or something to the pilot for gas etc. Pilot was a friend who had his own plane. Jimmy called him "Chicken Hawk" Well this Chicken Hawk also liked the bottle a bit.

They all fly to a track to bet and have a good day making well over several hundred dollars profit after expenses. They all do a bit of drinking including ol Mr. Chicken Hawk. As they are flying back home that night they run into a vicious storm. It's snowing and visibility is like 0. Next thing Chicken Hawk leaves his pilot seat and comes into the back carrying a practically empty fifth of bourbon. Jimmy goes nuts and says "Who the hell is flying the dang plane?"

CH says not to worry the auto pilot is on and with that takes another swig of the bottle. Jimmy says to him "get your ass back up front and fly the damn plane. If we make it back safely I am gonna beat you down when we land".

They make it and upon landing Hat wants a piece of ol CH!! before he has a chance to act his friend(Jonesy?) reaches over and grabs Hat stopping what was sure to be a "tussle" as Jim described it!

Old 04-25-2008, 06:37 PM   #25
billylump
AlwNW1X

Jim Bradshaw

There is now a void in my life left when Jim passed on this morning.
But my memories of the "Hat" will never leave me. I shall cherish them
forever.
Billylump
Old 04-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #26
billylump
AlwNW1X

Hat Tales

Richie, Here is one you will like.
Jim finds out there is a Sartin seminar in New Orleans and takes off in hopes
of finding the path to picking winners. He arrives late and sits right down front
with his hat on and "howdies" for everyone.
During the course of the seminar Howard Sartin learns that Jim was a retired
track coach and a member of the "Hall of Fame" in Oklahoma. Sartin tells Jim
that of all people he should understand pace better than anyone. Jim asked
Sartin what he meant by that statement. Howard replied that in track when a runner goes out too fast in a mile race he won't have much left for the finish. A light went off in Jimmy's head when he realized the same applied to
horse racing.
From that moment on Jim became a winner and the rest is history.

Billylump
Old 04-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #27
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Thumbs up "THE HAT" will always RULE horseracing-For All Time

When listening to Mr. Bradshaw do a race, handicappin become more fun and clear, falling in love with The MatchUp was easy.

Guy goes from the worst loser in handicapping to the Most Legendary and Best Handicapper of the 20th and 21st Century,bar none, hands down, unquestionable, undeniable, end of story, case closed, never to be re-opened.

A guy that consistantly elevated his game as the years went on, with real world , hard results.

I think I still have a few letters I have written him about the MatchUp and a few phone calls when they had the "Dial-A-Hat" service, and he was very gracious with his time and advice.

Jim "THE HAT" Bradshaw, right now, right this very second, could STILL out handicap anyone you put in front of him.....that's how far advanced he was than the rest of those "handicappers".

To say he was as legendary as Pittsburg Phil would be a SEVERE understatement.

The more he taught, the better he got at both teaching and applying the principles of The MatchUp.

Richie, I could see him adopting you as his son before our eyes, and every little lesson taught, he was tailoring and measuring a little "HAT" for you.

Attempting to pass down any gift he can to you to give to us all.

The Doc always said he would be prodding, poking, many a phone call to Oklahoma,trying to get as much of "WHAT'S UNDER THAT HAT" into every program he came up with which is why Mr. Bradshaw's name is on most of them.

Thanks to Mr. Bradshaw and his family for all their years of giving and support.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to forget him.

Most legends peak, then twinkle out, but Mr. Bradshaw had more and more to give, got more and more amazing as the years went on, never bottomed out his inexhaustable talent, getting more generous as the years went on.

When we handicap, we all have a "virtual" hat on, tryin to get the winner.

It was truley a privalege and honor to talk to him.

Those who walked away and squandered their chance to learn from him, they will never know what opportunity and privalege they truley had, or what they actually walked away from.......HISTORY.

But hey, people chose Barrabbas over Jesus, so this is not surprising, people always undestimate and minimize who they are talking to,people choose who they identify with, so subconsciously, they could not identify with a Winner, a Master and THE TRUTH, as it is.

Bet'cha this : most of the most relevant, core truth is OUT of the mainstream and limelight, usually disguised as something less than important,simple and humble, appearing less than ordinary.

THAT will be the Earths population biggest mistake, believe that.

The TRUE church of god is that person on two legs you just walked pass and discounted as insignificant.

Paying homage to buildings and rituals is only symbolic of how you treat your fellow man, even if you don't like him, still respect is due.

Hell, horseracing magizines , associates and gambling media should've been hounding THE HAT and THE DOC.

Should be so many Go%$@#n film clips and exposes on cable, it should'nt even be funny.

Geniuses that only get accolades after their gone.

What a self-absorbed, ego-maniacal world we live in.

Mr. Bradshaw was also evolving as a person.

Richie Pizzicara......THE LAST DISCIPLE,......wow....

Peace to the Bradshaw Nation.

VoodooFan
Quote:
"Richie never 2nd guesses, or ask "what if", but learns the concept I am teaching. This is one why he has learned and he is one of my best students. He is my pride and joy and best pal."
Jim "THE HAT" Bradshaw
Old 04-25-2008, 07:27 PM   #28
Jonathan Steele
Grade 1

Damn! Sorry to use such verbiage at this time but it hurts so much!

My sincerest condolences to Jim's wife and family.

Jon
Old 04-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #29
Neil S.
Grade 1

I Will Miss the HAT

I met Jim at a few of the Vegas seminars and he was a true one of a kind character. His amazing gift is in the capable hands of Richie now and I feel that I have learned so much about the match up through the HAT's teachings.

This is a sad time for all of us, but the highest honor you can ever pay someone when they have passed is to remember how they lived and celebrate that for as long as you live. Take the good memories and thoughts with you into every day and the one who is gone lives on through you.

R.I.P. HAT

May your family have comfort and love now that you are at peace.

Neil
Old 04-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #30
TheProgrammer
AlwNW3X

Very sorry to hear the news. Jim was a great guy with a great sense of humor. We spent many hours on the phone while we were developing AODDS and the Match Up software.

I kept in contact with him periodically, last speaking with him a couple months ago.

My thoughts and condolences are with LeRoi, Rhonda, and Sue.

He will truly be missed.

Randy Kovach