Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 01-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
scgmhawk
AlwNW1X

New User Question

Hi guys,

Just joined a few days ago and wanted say "HI". I am not familiar with the methodology at all but joined due to "lurking" on the message board for a month or so and seeing how helpful everyone is. My question is: Is there somewhere on the message board that explains or provides definitions for each of the abbreviations in the software? I can figure some of them out but not all. I watched the intro video and read many posts which certainly helped and I have not gotten around to reading all of the Doc PDF files...yet.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Steve
Old 01-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
azbacks
Grade 1

Steve......

Welcome to the group. In the RDSS area Ted has some videos that explain a lot of the different headings. Also, I believe Ted and Bill suggest reading The Follow-ups starting with #78.

Pete

Try this link (if I did it right) http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3925

Last edited by azbacks; 01-03-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: add link
Old 01-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Steve,

Welcome and here's to great successes in 2009, for you and for each of us!

I acknowledge, with some dismay, that there is not (yet) a central, modern document representing a factor primer, or detailed explanation of the various readouts. What you see today in RDSS has a fairly long heritage. However, here are a few helpful references and links to help you along. As you chunk in some of the factors and their utility, why not post a question about one, or a cluster, specifically which you don't yet understand, especially if you observe that such factor has played a role in surprising winners you perhaps have missed. More experienced users will surely comment about what those readouts mean, and how to use them to identify contenders and wagers. As always, the best way to learn is to compare what works to what didn't work, and iteratively, and gradually, eliminate the difference, customized to repeating scenarios.

Check the Library for Follow Ups 74, 75, 76 and the Series Cracking the Corollary Code Parts 1, 2 &3 which is indeed a factor primer. Most of those factors and their inter-relationships are still in use today. Some new ones have also appeared (via Speculator): the Segments screen Computed Beaten Lengths, which is an expansion of the SCBL (Second Call Beaten Length) readouts referred to in the older Follow Ups of Doc's day. Relative dominance in the first 2 calls, and improvement to the 2nd call are both valuable observations to pay attention to in projecting improvement today.

I made a collection of links to posts by Bill V which have some good illustrations of the various RDSS readouts and how he uses them for paceline selection, non-contender elimination and wager selection. Here: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4994

All the best,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 01-03-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
scgmhawk
AlwNW1X

Thanks for the responses. I did read the Bill V. links last night. Good stuff. I'll definitely check out the others as time permits. I'll obviously need to learn to be patient but thanks for pointing me to some of the more pertinent material.

I'll ask more questions for sure and eventually help others out!

-Steve