Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 11-11-2007, 05:09 PM   #1
mufasa
Grade 1

Does anyone know---help

I am currently working with Brisnet data files as my hard copy while handicapping and I am having a hell of a time comparing Trackmaster adjusted pace call times vs. the Brisnet times (i.e. ¼ mile time, ½ mile time). I am not talking about pace rating or speed ratings here just actual or as described in RDSS original times.
I believe that I would come a long way in my endeavor to match these times for additional analysis if I could understand at least how Trackmaster handles the adjustment of time when considering the daily track variant (DTV). Does anyone know how Trackmaster handles the adjustment of the original times to come to their adjusted times at least as to DTV.
Anyone’s help here would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 11-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
Fast4522
Former member

Send a message via AIM to Fast4522
Robert,
How varients are made are in many a fine book that are good reads. I would suggest pick one up if you do not currently have one on your shelf. When you start to profile a track you will be looking at alot of times and distances along with pars you can establish for each distance. The Trackmaster / Speculator thing is a whole new ball of wax, but yet the same concept. Many here are in the know including Ted who has modified the orig. Val Clipper code..
Old 11-12-2007, 02:16 PM   #3
mufasa
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast4522 View Post
Robert,
How varients are made are in many a fine book that are good reads. I would suggest pick one up if you do not currently have one on your shelf. When you start to profile a track you will be looking at alot of times and distances along with pars you can establish for each distance. The Trackmaster / Speculator thing is a whole new ball of wax, but yet the same concept. Many here are in the know including Ted who has modified the orig. Val Clipper code..
Fast, thanks for your advice but I have plenty of books. What I am trying to determine is exactly how Trackmaster applies the DTV. That is do they use half the variant when adjusting the ¼ mile time and maybe the entire variant when adjusting the ½ mile time, or some other allocation. In addition, what is Trackmaster using as their zero adjustment. Some people use a track variant of 17 as zero with higher or lower requiring adjustment. For me when I am just making adjustments on my own my zero is a range of 17-21 with above or below requiring adjustment.

I feel that since I am so dependent on Trackmaster adjustments when utilizing the RDSS program as to pace line selection and working with the program outputs that knowing at least how Trackmaster utilizes DTV could be helpful. Many times especially while trying to play the exotics I like to further analyze the selected races and/or compare to other pace lines especially as to time so knowing at least how Trackmaster is adjusting time with the DTV could be helpful. In the end it may not make a difference but it would be good to know so as to lay that to rest.

Thanks,
Robert

Last edited by mufasa; 11-12-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Robert,

For clarity, TrackMaster does not supply adjusted call times - those are calculated solely by the software (RDSS, Spec, Val).

If you compare times on the RDSS Original screens to BRIS or DRF or whomever, sourced from Equibase, the call times should be identical except if you are viewing them in 5ths or 10ths. A final time on a Result Chart of 1:09.74 (74/100ths) would be expressed as 1:09.7 (7/10th) by RDSS and 1:09.3 (3/5ths) by BRIS or DRF in 5ths mode. Rhetorical question: which do think is a more accurate representation of the 1:09.74 Result Chart time: 1:09.7 or 1:09.6 (which is 3/5ths)?

After that point, if you are trying to understand how later Sartin software modifies raw call times to Adjusted times, this has been discussed in detail in several posts here and you could use the new Google site search to help dig up more references. But here's the summary (and an interesting learning exercise for you):

Raw call times become Adjusted call times after the following adjustments:

1. Distance equalization
2. Daily Track Variant
3. Inter Track Variant

Find a 6f paceline in a 6f race today, with DTV = 0, from today's track. This mitigates the first 2 adjustments above. All differences between Original call times and adjusted call times will be due to ITV. (There will be an ITV adjustment even if the line was run at today's track). DTV = 0 means the final time was par for that track, surface and distance (neither faster nor slower).

Now find a line, same distance, same track but with DTV = -5 (5 units FASTER than par). You know from the previous step what the ITV adjustment was between Original and Adjusted. Now, by comparing a FAST DTV, you know that the additional adjustment at each call point was due to the additional application of the DTV adjustment. Try the same thing with DTV = +5 (5 units SLOWER than par), then +10, then -10, etc. Now you know how DTV is added.

Then find a 6.5 line in today's 6f race, same track. Since you know how ITV and DTV are done, any new differences between Original and Adjusted are due to distance equalization.

Etc, etc.

Now you know how RDSS (not TrackMaster) adjusts Original to Adjusted call times. All velocities are based on Adjusted times and beaten lengths. All compound factors are based on (adjusted) velocities. Etc, etc.

If you really want to have confidence in how RDSS makes its numbers starting with what is published in Result Charts, try that exercise. Presuming that does give you confidence (and a headache), then just sit back and let the software do what it does best (number crunching) and you do what you do best: analysis, wager selection, feedback from result to original analysis (learning), share your success!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 11-12-2007, 03:51 PM   #5
mufasa
Grade 1

Thanks Ted. I guess I was climbing up the wrong tree here. I am trying to work with the Brisnet PP’s data pace lines and compare them to what I have selected as my adjusted RDSS program lines. This is really a bad case of comparing apples and oranges.
The adjustments as to the RDSS Program are great to give you what it does as to outputs and betting opportunities but not so good for matching up with what I have as to Brisnet times. When you have added the ability to print then I could just print out the adjusted times and work from there as to analyzing other pace lines or other contenders in exotics.
By the way I definitely believe in the RDSS outputs since I just hit for a win at Turf Paradise at a healthy $54.00 in the second race. I bet as one of my two win bets #2 (La Misma) who came in from last to first for the sweet price. This was my longest price winner to date with your program.
Thank you RDSS,
Robert
Old 11-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Robert,

Still not quite clear what comparison task you're attempting, comparing RDSS adjusted lines to BRIS PP raw lines (or why). But congratulations on that $54 winner at TUP! If you're waiting for printing for something you consider critical, you can always do a screen capture, and print that (or dump it to a Word file first).

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 11-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
mufasa
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
Robert,

Still not quite clear what comparison task you're attempting, comparing RDSS adjusted lines to BRIS PP raw lines (or why). But congratulations on that $54 winner at TUP! If you're waiting for printing for something you consider critical, you can always do a screen capture, and print that (or dump it to a Word file first).

Ted
Ted:

Yes trying to compare in the general sense because it is more than obvious after all of those inherent program adjustments that the times are way different most of the time to not only the line in question but to all other lines and ditto for the other entries/contenders.

Even when I am home I handicap with the RDSS program and then print out my favorite outputs on the back of one of the Brisnet data printed pages per race. I close the program and then try to use other contender pace line information from the Brisnet data to help me with supporting information to make any necessary separations from let us say the top 3-5 tier. I try to use corollaries for the races selected for the program but add to that other Brisnet pace line analysis for support and of course attempts at exotic play.

I am still trying to find my way towards developing a consistent and preferred way of using the program but grudgingly hanging on to some of my old ways of capping with the other printed data. This win hit today at such a juicy price has convinced me to finally just try with the program printing as you say via the screen capture for all of the extra adjusted data that I may need for additional separation, support, or exotic play analysis. No more mixing and matching of the numbers/data. I will just use the Brisnet printed past performance for evaluation of running styles (ESP), recent class, and recent form.

As always thanks for your help,

Robert