Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 11-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
shoeless
Grade 1

Tpr Numbers

Listening to Hambleton talking about TPR on the Las Vegas Seminar Tape[Bill thanks for putting it up and CFunk thanks for making a copy so I can listen in my car].He is talking about how the DRF variants are good and how they are used to adjust the TPR.If that's the case what effect does it have if your putting in a 0 or use the Beyer number?Jeff
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
partsnut
BetMix User

Jeff,

I know you have an interest in the TPR numbers.
You may find or have already found that these numbers
are not a stand alone factor to determine the winner of a given race.
I think it has it's merits in certain situations and for the most part there is only one program where you can
query this on a given track. None of the Sartin Programs as we know them have this capability.
In my humble opinion the best piece of software that can do this and is probably the most effective is JCapper which is expensive and not easy to learn. This program is not for everyone. I did the demo and I can say without any hesitation this is the best program on the market. In fact I would go further then that, It's by far and away a brilliant piece of work.
Unfortunately, it's unaffordable to me at the present time but probably well worth the price.
Be aware that this program has a large learning curve and is not for everyone. However, the author offers podcasts and help docs to get you started.
The beauty of this program is that it allows you literally to test all different situations both positive and negative and allows you to employ these situations into a workable handicapping method.

Last edited by partsnut; 11-21-2007 at 12:02 PM.
partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
JimG
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsnut View Post
I can say without any hesitation this is the best program on the market. In fact I would go further then that, It's by far and away a brilliant piece of work.
Not to take away from the really good Sartin-based programs, but I fully agree with the above statement regarding JCapper.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
socantra
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeless View Post
.He is talking about how the DRF variants are good and how they are used to adjust the TPR.If that's the case what effect does it have if your putting in a 0 or use the Beyer number?Jeff
I take it you must be talking about Synergism users. I have no idea how Purdy adjusted the Beyer ratings, though there is a long discussion in Beyer On Speed on extracting the variant from a Beyer figure. At that point, you would have a variant on the Beyer scale, and would have to convert it to DRF terms. That's not all that hard to do, but in Beyer numbers you have vauiable points at different distances instead of the old DRF/TPR fifth of a second per point. Its not all that difficult. but requires either a computer program or a bunch of charts and fast fingers on a pocket calculator.

I also have no idea where Purdy built in the variant break in Synergism. Is no variant adjustment a 0 or a 17? If you are talking about using the numbers raw, with no variant, you simply have numbers that are listed in the book, without the adjustments for variants. I always found the raw numbers to work very well, within the obvious limits, just like the matchup.

Dick..

Last edited by socantra; 11-21-2007 at 01:59 PM.
socantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
socantra
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsnut View Post
Jeff,

I know you have an interest in the TPR numbers.
You may find or have already found that these numbers
are not a stand alone factor to determine the winner of a given race.
I wasn't aware that Jeff used the TPR numbers in JCapper.

Dick...
Old 11-21-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
JimG
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by socantra View Post
I wasn't aware that Jeff used the TPR numbers in JCapper.

Dick...
Dick,

I know Jeff has a rating called TP in the program. It is a solid pace number for sure but whether it is calculated in the same manner as in Sartin-based programs, I have no idea.

Jim
Old 11-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
gl45
Grade 1

Jim G,
I have a question: are you presently using JCapper?
Pino
gl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
JimG
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj View Post
Jim G,
I have a question: are you presently using JCapper?
Pino
Pino,

Yes I have been for about 3 years now.

Jim
Old 11-21-2007, 08:18 PM   #9
shoeless
Grade 1

Parts,Im not so sure that if you are keeping a good model that these numbers cant be used as stand alone.Jeff
Old 11-21-2007, 09:21 PM   #10
shoeless
Grade 1

I didnt realize there would be such a difference putting in 0 for a variant or 19[actual]
Attached Images