Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS Documentation -- All Versions
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS Documentation -- All Versions Racing Decision Support System - Documentation

Old 05-27-2024, 09:56 PM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Documentation - RDSS V2.2.2024.66.xx (May 27, 2024)

An update to RDSS is now available – either from within the current RDSS Version 2.2.2023.65 via the Software Update button (a message should appear on the RDSS Desktop, prompting you to download to your c:\Rdss22\Update.Downloads\ folder) or you can also download it from the main RDSS Download page here at PaceandCap.com: http://www.rdss2.com/download-software to your Downloads folder. After either download method, run the installer file (RdssInstall2.2.2024.66.02.exe) to install the update over top of your existing RDSS. No data is lost.

Note: Your web browser or Windows Security or anti-virus software may complain about the site the update is downloaded from, or once downloaded - when you try to run the installer it may also complain again about the install file! In general, please respond ‘Yes, It’s OK, please go ahead, I’m sure, etc, etc’. Please refer to Point #8 below for screenshots and more info on how to respond to these complaints, and an example from my own anti-virus software (Trend Micro) for the kinds of complaints they may pose. This RDSS install package has been scanned and is virus-free!

FWIW, the complaints arise -
a) when downloaded from Artofpace.com (aka RDSS2.com aka SartinMethodology.com) due to not HTTPS (downloads from https://cdn.trackmaster.com don’t suffer this complaint – hence why I’m migrating downloads there),
b) the RDSS installer software is not ‘digitally signed’ and thus considered a ‘risk’ by anti-virus software when you try to run it. Digitally signing the RDSS installer software is on my To Do list for 2024. Meanwhile – please read Point #8 below.

Overview

The main thing this update does is fix the TwinSpires Ratings problem which arose about a half year ago (these external ratings have since been unavailable other than manually). RDSS can again retrieve BRIS Prime Power and ProfitLine ratings from the TwinSpires public website. RDSS does this by using an internal (and invisible) web browser, just like the more common MS Edge, Chrome or FireFox browsers, then ‘borrowing’ from the (invisible) screens of that browser. In the next version, this internal browser display of the TwinSpires web pages will be visible. Some testers report this data does not come the first time you try it (i.e. the very first assembled race of the day). In this case, RDSS tries again (internally) then presents a message that it failed and would you like to restart the software, which ALWAYS seems to work. (See the Points further below.)

To enable RDSS to download TwinSpires Ratings, you must go to the Configure Screen and CHECK the TwinSpires Ratings/Scratches box, then Save, then Restart. RDSS alerts you about this when you start up with this new version.

RDSS does not yet fetch the live Tote data feed from TwinSpires – next update. Nor does it fetch Mutuel Prices and Quick Results. This will also be for the next update – and then it will come from TrackMaster/Equibase if you subscribe to the RDSS Bundle data plan (which includes Results as well as Past Performances).

Please read the following Notes for complete information and some screenshots.
  1. Upon loading RDSS, a popup screen appears notifying you what to do to get the TwinSpires Ratings again. You can dismiss this with the ‘Don’t show this message anymore!’ checkbox after the first time. (Please note the part about Save the settings then Restart RDSS).

2. When you first assemble a race, for some people, the TwinSpires Ratings are not fetched the first time and you have to restart RDSS and try again. In this case, RDSS displays the following message. If you click Yes, RDSS will Restart. After a restart, Usually the TS Ratings come with the next attempt to assemble a race, and thereafter.

3. The TwinSpires Ratings ProfitLine and Prime Power – show up on the Entries screen and the Rx screen, where they used to. As a consequence, the Rx3 factor, which makes use of the ProfitLine rank, is also back in business. If you are unfamiliar with these external factors (non-correlated to the traditional internally derived Sartin factors) – like a super ‘Morning Line’, though fully public and thus baked into the odds), you can refer to the 4-Factor Method documentation presented by late member Rich Mathie, here: http://www.rdss2.com/4-factor-method. Usage of these factors and related methods are demonstrated almost daily by members Lt1 and darmar in the Selections and Races of Interest Forums.

4. Within a couple of months, a major new module of RDSS ‘The Leverage/Pace Method’ (LvP - tentative name) will arrive with significant promise (according to early testers). While the external TS Ratings were unavailable, several users undertook to develop an alternate set of high-level composite factors to leverage vertical wagers and Pace Analysis. A few components of that method are visible in this version, though I am not going to document them here. FWIW, on the Entries screen is the Visual Pace Bias (VPB) tool, developing a numerical computation of Early Pace Pressure and an estimation of whether the visual Matchup will bias Early (unpressured pace), Late (pressured pace) or Neutral. This VPB number shows above the RS Running Style column on the Rx and NewPace screens, and soon all screens – to help estimate the likely advantage of Early or Late tending horses (aka The Matchup).

Those of you who use NewPace will see a change in the High/Low graph sort, in assistance of the above LvP method and the Visual Pace Bias. With this upcoming module – NewPace will be available to everyone as a full part of RDSS. If anyone wants to get NewPace in advance of this future update, please just let me know and I can switch it on for you. However, full documentation for NewPace and its usage in RDSS will only be available with that future update.

5. PDF Result Charts now come from Equibase not BRISnet. There is a link to each race’s PDF Result Chart on the Card Summary Screen. There is also a button on the Rx screen (soon every Analysis screen) to get the PDF Result Chart (all data plans). The Mutuel Prices buttons in the software are currently disabled. Mutuel Prices and Quick Results will again be available in the next update and will again integrate into RDSS for display and export for modelling. When available, this data will instead now come TrackMaster and will require a subscription to the Bundle Data plan (which includes Full Result Charts and also these Quick Results and Prices).

6. On the Entries screen, the APV column now shows a blue underline for the #1 APV horse whose APV is greater than or equal to 40% higher than the next horse. Per the old 55% Solution manual and member Bob Cochran, this may indicate a #2 rank APV horse worthy of a second look as a Contender. If you hover the mouse over such a marked #1 APV horse, you can see how big the gap is. In the example below, the #7 horse is #2 rank APV and worthy of a second look. (BTW, it is also an un-coupled Entry with the #6 horse – both have the small blue ‘a’ indicating same trainer, un-coupled – an occasionally useful angle. FWIW, the #7 came 2nd at 8-1 odds, while the #1 APV, and favourite, came 3rd).

7. Registration screen – TrackMaster data plan info. As part of my plan this year to migrate the RDSS software subscription payment over to TrackMaster, they now provide info to RDSS on your current RDSS Data Plan/s (and later, your RDSS software Subscription license). The user in the example below has an ACTIVE Regular 1 month data plan (PPs only, 20 cards/$30 month plus overages) which renews on 06/06/2024.

Please check your TrackMaster Data plan info on this page and please let me know if it shows incorrect info. Note: If you have both a Regular and Bundle Data plan, info on both will be displayed (e.g. one may be marked INACTIVE). In this case, RDSS downloads data according to which Data plan is selected in this section of the Registration screen.

8. When you go to download the update RDSS Install package, your browser may complain about an unsafe file. This RDSS install package has been scanned for viruses and has none! The examples below are from Microsoft Edge browser, Windows Security System and my own Trend Micro anti-virus software. Your own setup may differ, but in general – please respond similarly “OK, it’s safe, I trust it, go ahead, etc”.

If you download the update from within RDSS via the Software Update button on the Desktop, there should be no complaints about downloading.
    When downloading via your browser (i.e. from the RDSS Download page), you may get messages like the following (in Edge, follow the screenshots).

Choose KEEP to deem the download safe.

When you go to run it from your Downloads folder, Windows Security and/or your Anti-virus software may complain thusly -

For these or similar complaints, please click Run Anyway.

When you try to Run the Installer, you may get something similar to the following from Windows Security or your Anti-virus software (these examples from my Trend Micro Maximum Security Anti-virus) -

The first time you try to run the RDSS installer file (RdssInstall.22.2024.66.02.exe) you may see something like the left image. Click OK. The 2nd time you try to run it, you may see something like the right image with an additional option Open File. Clicking on this will finally run the RDSS Installer. Don't Delete the file, if offered - you'll just have to download it again

If your process looks different (different Anti-virus, browser or Windows version) – in general, please read the options given to see alternatives to simply giving up.

With this update to RDSS, the process of downloading updates within RDSS and having the software update itself should become much simpler. And there will be lots more updates this year!

Any questions or problems about the Update/Install process, please post them here.

Any Bugs to report, please post them in the Bugs Thread: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10575

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 05-28-2024 at 02:35 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 12:30 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

One other small item - regarding NewPace:

Point #9 - The Factor previously referred to as EL+ on the Entries, BL/BL and Rx screens is now renamed NP (NewPace) which is what it always was.

Now that NewPace will be available to all users of RDSS (next update, or on request), I'm calling the EL+ what it always was (Top 2 Early, Top 2 Late on an overall visual performance basis based on the horse's entire history).

Again, documentation for RDSS' implementation of the NewPace concepts will follow in a few months with the new module mentioned above.

R
DSS -
Old 05-28-2024, 02:11 PM   #3
raceman5
Grade 1

Nice job

ted, always appreciate your dedicated efforts to the methodology.

Bob

Last edited by Ted Craven; 06-02-2024 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Thank you Bob!
raceman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 05:02 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Software Update - V2.2.2024.66.03

I updated the software to V2.2.2024.66.03 (June 1, 2024). You can find it in the usual download page (http://www.rdss2.com/download-software) and RDSS will prompt you on the Desktop that there is an update.

The only thing fixed is a small bug (per the Bug Reports) where the Comments had disappeared from the Trip Screen for each horse. Now they're back!

Nothing else changed.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 06-05-2024, 08:42 PM   #5
buzzm24
Grade 3

Ted

Downloaded the V2.2.2024.66.03 (June 1, 2024) fix. But when it starts to install I keep getting error messages about RDSS not able to close files.
Anti-virus is turned off. Have you heard from anyone else having that issue?

Thanks!!
buzzm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 10:38 PM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I would recommend starting as 'clean' as possible. Restart your computer. Then run the ...66.03 RDSS installer.

Since that series of messages about files being 'locked' open or closed is not a normal occurrence, let's try starting again fresh.

Let me know if that helps.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 06-06-2024, 09:01 AM   #7
buzzm24
Grade 3

Yes. That did the trick. As always, thank you!!
buzzm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 08:45 PM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I updated the software to V2.2.2024.66.04 (June 13, 2024). You can find it in the usual download page (http://www.rdss2.com/download-software). RDSS will also prompt you on the Desktop that there is an update.

Fixed in this update is a bug where RDSS would crash if there was no internet (per the Bug Reports). Now it behaves again like it has done for some time - warns you that there is no internet connection and do you want to continue. Various other operations also warn you when there is no internet.

Nothing else changed.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 06-14-2024, 09:22 AM   #9
glass_oni0n
AlwNW1X

Hi Ted, I seem to have lost the TwinSpires ratings with this new update.

I downloaded a card this morning and got no ratings, then restarted and still had none. I then updated the software and encountered the same issue. No TS ratings before restarting the software or after.
glass_oni0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 10:39 AM   #10
Lt1
Grade 1

Numbers are also missing from previous test version.
Tim