Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Get RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2026, 01:30 PM   #1
DanBoals
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 450
Howard

Hey all,

I was telling my daughter about Howard this morning. When she met him, she was just a little over a year old so obviously she does not remember anything about him so she was curious about some of my stories of him.

She searched on him and apparently the search engines have more stuff now than they did previously. I did not know he was credited with writing a TV show in the 1950's, yet here is this:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1494179/

It seems he wrote the episdoe called the coffee shop incident. Pretty cool.

I did know he was very proud of his grandfather, O. Henry's, work as a writer. I saw this picture of him at the exhibit :

https://www.facebook.com/ohenrymuseu...3968954731347/

I remember how annoyed he was with Jimmy Smits for taking the NYPD Blue role instead of sticking with the Cisco Kid.

He liked being called an Iconoclast. He was a very interesting man and one of the smartest people I have ever worked with... so many things we talked about, racing and life both, did not make sense to me at the time but now are invaluable.
DanBoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2026, 09:19 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
Those are so cool Dan - thank you! That jacket of his looks just like the early style I remember him in - wide lapels.

Here is research by my AI on that early script he wrote for that 1950s anthology: https://chatgpt.com/share/6ab86c99-8...9-4d3dc616bd0c Apparently it is available by request to Yale University.

Next Saturday will be Howard's 100th birthday - October 3, 1926.

Ted
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2026, 12:43 PM   #3
shoeless
Grade 1
 
shoeless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,640
Nice post Dan

Jeff
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2026, 12:05 PM   #4
DanBoals
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 450
As Ted pointed out, 100 today...

Happy Birthday Howard
I really enjoyed the time I spent talking with you
you were truly an iconoclast in handicapping
DanBoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2026, 08:32 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
Thinking of Howard and his contribution to horse racing fans and to my life personally on this the 100th anniversary of his birth! Think of all the great minds he brought together, the people he influenced.

My life took a distinct and irrevocable turn when I met him in 1992 (well before that actually, but that was the first seminar).

I am forever grateful. And grateful for all of you in this extended community.

Thank you Howard, and thank you all!

Ted
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2026, 08:37 PM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
Name:  Howard Sartin LV 1997.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  16.2 KB
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2026, 12:16 PM   #7
cratman
cratman
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: DC area
Posts: 111
Howard

I picked five or six double digit winners, and no losers, for a fellow player using the Methodology. He asked what could he do for me. Said I wanted to meet my future wife. He got his wife on it and I met my future wife at a party. Howard later met her at a seminar. We have been married for more than 30 years
cratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
God Bless you, Howard Sartin........ tom General Discussion 90 10-03-2024 07:08 PM
Happy Birthday Howard Sartin Bill V. General Discussion 11 10-12-2018 06:30 PM
Found a old letter from Mark Cramer pktruckdriver General Discussion 3 01-31-2013 02:33 PM
Howard was ahead of his time Tim Y General Discussion 31 09-30-2009 03:04 PM
A Page for Doctor Howard Sartin Ph D Bill V. General Discussion 13 11-05-2008 09:23 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 PM.