Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS > NewPace Discussion Forum (old)
Get RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

NewPace Discussion Forum (old) An old discussion forum for users of Dave Schwartz' NewPace (as implemented in RDSS 2.0) circa 2011

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
botc
botc
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3
NewPace using Adjusted Speed Ratings

Ted, let me first apologize for not knowing how to post such a long message on the board. I thought it might be best to let you review first and decide what if anything of my test you wanted to post.

First let me say that I received my video from Dave S. on Wed. and worked CD Friday card 6-03 on Thurs using the worksheet and doing it long form.
A lot to put into a simple mind in a short amount of time. I had intended to bet real money but I soon realized my grasp had exceeded my reach and rather than
muddle up the study with subjective handicapping on my part the team would be better served by me making sure all the numbers were correct so smarter people
than I could weigh the results.

First race:

Current EL rankings were: E1=#6 E2=#5 L1=#4 L2=#2
TM adj sp ratings : E1=#5 E2=#6 L1=#2 L2=#4 results 2-6-3-4

slightly different order but same horses picked. stay with me there's more
POR was different
#6 DOM
Second race

Current EL ranking were: E1=#5 E2=#4 L1=#1 L2=3
TM Adj. sp E1=#5 E2=#4 L1=#1 L2=6 actual results were 2-6-5-4

the same except the #6 picked as L2 that ran second at 13-1
POR was same
interesting

Third Race

Current EL E1=#6 E2=4 L1=#1 L2=#5
adj sp rating E1#6 E2=4 L1=7 L2=5 results were 5-1-7-6

the #1 picked as L1 by the current EL runs 2nd at 5/2
POR was same

Fourth race

Current EL E1=#8 E2=#4 L1=#7 L2=#5
adg sp E1=8 E2=5 L1=7 L2=6 results 6-4-2-7

adj sp had #6 as L2 #6 won at 5-1
POR was same


Fifth race

Current EL E1=1 E2=5 L1=2 L2=6
adj sp E1=4 E2=5 L1=6 L2=2 results 2-3-5-4
POR was different for 2nd time in 5 races

6th race not playable

7th race

current EL E1=3 E2=7 L1=1 L2=6
adj sp E1=7 E2=5 L1=1 L2=6 results 7-2-1-4

POR was different again with the #7 winning at 3/1 also #1 was picked as monster by EL but only normal L1 with adj sp

8th race
3 first time starters but figured anyway just to see numbers

current EL E1=8 E2=9 L1=2 L2=5
adj sp E1=9 E2=8 L1=5 L2=2 results 5-9-3-2

POR different

9th race

current EL E1=2 E2=6 L1=10 L2=5
adj sp E1=5 E2=2 L1=10 L2=1 results 5-10-6-1

POR different
current EL had #6 as E2 ran third at 15-1
adj sp has the #1 as L2 ran 4th at 15-1

10th race

current EL E1=7 E2=4 L1=5 L2=3
adj sp E1=7 E2=4 L1=5 L2=3 results 5-4-3-1

POR same
first time both programs picked same horses

Conclusions: Doing pencil and paper was grueling, I was whipped. Took me back to the day in the 70's when we did everything with a racing form and a pencil.
Anybody who thinks those were the good ole days, think again. I think I would take up bowling and forget picking horses. Back to the business at hand I will say that
on the low side for the E's and the L's the lows seemed too low with the adj. sp rating and for my part I think it made it harder to handicap.
Maybe that would change with more experience. Sorry this is so long an email. I have attached the EL Ted posted with notes and scribbling for your visual viewing pleasure.
This has been Dave Milks registered member name 'botc' coming to you from Roanoke, Texas. Oh, and by the way for my part RDSS is the best program anywhere any time.
My only regret is I never meet Doc or Hat but I feel like they are family. That said, thank God for Ted and his efforts on our behalf.

Name:  race 1 and 2 001_resize.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  204.2 KB

Name:  race 3 001_resize.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  115.4 KB

Name:  race 4 and 5 001_resize.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  218.2 KB

Name:  race 7 and 8 001_resize.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  223.5 KB

Name:  race 9 and 10 001_resize.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  234.8 KB

Last edited by Ted Craven; 06-07-2011 at 08:21 AM. Reason: formatted text better, removed phone #, resized images
botc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
Dave,

Thanks for posting this review! Your screen images are WAY too large and I will try to shrink them for you so they're a more normal size (done!). In future you can try saving to PNG format as we discussed and I think they'll work out nicely.

No worries! Your work with the Adjusted SR makes me eager to move on to the other bases for ratings, (Adj SR, Total Energy, Perceptor) to see how they compare to this initial work.

Good luck with your work on NewPace and everything else with RDSS!

cheers,

Ted
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 06-07-2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: resized images in previous post
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 678
NP Manual Calculation

Yes, manual calculation is a pain but I find it is easier by using Excel with formulars (attached below). This presumes you have Excel or a similiar spreadsheet product.

The total formulas for each contender is cut off. The complete formular for the first line #4 is: =SUM(C4*100+D4*60)+E4*40+F4*25).
As you can see for each contender the only variable is the line number.

1. The factors are still manually calculated but using the Call 1 points calulator
and Real Running Style sheets reduces the time. These are available with the
NP seminar download or CD.

2. Then the formulas kick in for the totals and percent which avoids a significant part of the manual calculations.

3. Then back to manual entries for the ranks, early, reg speeds and final EE/LL

Hope this helps.

Ernie
Attached Images
 
SilentRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Eddybugsy
AlwNW3X
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 38
Here is the Excel I have been using...

and it is too time consuming...
File should be attached
Attached Files
File Type: xls ELORG.xls (22.5 KB, 84 views)
Eddybugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
Eddybugsy
AlwNW3X
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 38
I also use the adj SR
Eddybugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddybugsy View Post
it is too time consuming...
File should be attached
Your formulas will take care of the totals and percentages but I would eliminate the low high speed columns from the factors section.

You can also remove the high speed column from the Late Speed Sort.
You only need the low speed.

If you use the Call 1 points sheet Calculator and the Real Running Style
sheets you would save manual steps doing the factors.

Yes, it still takes some time but until 2.0 becomes available I find it is worth while to use it selectively.

Ernie
SilentRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
Dave Schwartz
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 119
I had a conversation the other day with a player who uses a spreadsheet with NewPace. He says that he now has it down to under 6 minutes per race.

Said that when he started it was taking him 15 minutes or more.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:56 AM   #8
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
I had a conversation the other day with a player who uses a spreadsheet with NewPace. He says that he now has it down to under 6 minutes per race.

Said that when he started it was taking him 15 minutes or more.
That is right....the more races you do it is amazing how fast you can process them. Currently I am down to about 10 minutes per race for fields 8 or higher.
Under 10 minutes for shorter fields. But of course I am looking forward to using the fully automated version.

Ernie
SilentRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
raceman5
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Largo Fl.
Posts: 2,363
Me

to doing manual entry very tedious you can really do onl 1 track after that the brain is mush.

Bob
raceman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
Dave Schwartz
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 119
Actually, you get faster... much faster.

In the very late '80s, I was playing full time. I was in a Reno racebook every morning at 6:30am, getting ready for first post, which was like 9am (NYRA). I came home at 10:30 every night after LGA finished.

In between I made feet-per-second ratings using a calculator and wrote them by hand, one race to a page. Each race had 23 factors that I modeled. I literally played every non-maiden race at about 15 tracks.

When I switched to "point ratings" rather than velocity numbers my work load diminished greatly.

My point is, that I could do speed ratings by hand, every line for every horse in about 4-5 minutes. You just get faster and faster with practice.


Dave
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
** NewPace in RDSS 2.0 ** Ted Craven RDSS2 / FAQ's 16 09-04-2014 03:10 PM
Welcome to the NewPace Discussion Forum Ted Craven NewPace Discussion Forum (old) 0 05-02-2011 03:32 PM
Charlestown speed ratings Bill Lyster RDSS 2 06-28-2009 09:09 AM
speed versus stamina (deceleration) Tim Y General Discussion 1 01-13-2009 01:43 PM
$103.20 RichieP RDSS 17 12-04-2008 07:12 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:29 AM.