Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Get RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #21
MIKE1121
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 131
Running styles come in 2 forms, those that need the lead and those that don't ( a closer is a closer ).It can be that simple.

The main reason that I look at running styles is becouse I like to visualize how the field will spread itself out after a 1/4 of racing. I like to see how many horses will be within a lenght of the lead, how many will be 3 lenghts back , how many will be 5 to 7 back and who will be way back .My preference is too look at beaten lenghts behind the leader or leaders rather than if they are a P/S or a S. A S horse who is 7 lenghts behind is a lot different than one who is 11 lenghts behind.

As far as Paceline selection goes I rarely go beyond the last 3 lines .90% of the time I will stick my horses with one of the last 3 pacelines, this is one of the changes I made this year that turned me from breaking even to making money at the track.

Good luck.
MIKE1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:39 AM   #22
Tim Y
turf historian
 
Tim Y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,455
Horses in form run close up to the pace even when the PREDICTED beaten lenghts might suggest their being on the lead.

POSITION AND ENERGY DISTRIBUTION ARE OFTEN NOT THE SAME. To understand the latter you have to abandon the former.
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #23
MIKE1121
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 131
Horses will mimic todays beaten lenghts based upon what they most often run, regardless of anything else, if a horse is 6 to 8 beaten lenghts behind the leader in 7 or 8 past races he will most likely be 6 to 8 lenghts behind in todays race. Open up a form look at a bunch of horses last races and see how often it matches with their dominate position.


Mike.
MIKE1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #24
Jimbo282
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Orleans,La.
Posts: 116
Mike no disrespect but I have to disagree with only your last 3 pacelines. I have found more than a few winners looking down further in the pp's at the horse running at the same track, same class, same distance and sometimes same jockey. The horse for course.


Jimmy
Jimbo282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #25
Tim Y
turf historian
 
Tim Y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,455
[QUOTE=MIKE1121;37129]Horses will mimic todays beaten lenghts based upon what they most often run, regardless of anything else, if a horse is 6 to 8 beaten lenghts behind the leader in 7 or 8 past races he will most likely be 6 to 8 lenghts behind in todays race. Open up a form look at a bunch of horses last races and see how often it matches with their dominate position.


/QUOTE]

Ah if horses were only that consistent. All horses ON DIRT have form cycles that negate that regularity.
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #26
mikesal57
Grade 1
 
mikesal57's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo282 View Post
Mike no disrespect but I have to disagree with only your last 3 pacelines. I have found more than a few winners looking down further in the pp's at the horse running at the same track, same class, same distance and sometimes same jockey. The horse for course.


Jimmy
Jimbo..I think you hit it on the head...I believe you need to look at the whole Pp's to get a clue on how a horse should/can run today...yes...it will take a little more time...but when u hit one of these, it pays off...also I think that a race with conditions of a limited amount wins can be best for this situation...

A month or 2 ago Ted interviewed a guy that was near the leaders of a contest overseas and he showed us how he handicapped a race and hit a big winner. Since then I used his procedure and came up with some good winners..

Like Saratoga's 6Th race yesterday...it was a claiming race for non winners of 2 lifetime...what I did was to use RDSS and input the horses BEST TPR race in his PP and then review the results to see if he can do it again....THIS ONE DID at $29

mike
Attached Images
 
__________________
Never bet a favorite doing something for the first time-Harvey Pack
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #27
MIKE1121
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 131
For years I tried to hit 100% of my races doing this I was stuck with a low 18- 19% win rate with a small loss on the dollar. It wasn't till I stopped doing this that my win rate doubled and my roi went positive. I fully realize that sometimes the only way that I will come up with a winner is too go back 5 or 6 pacelines to get him, but this also adds more confusion , you are adding more variables thus more opportunities to make mistakes.

In a field of 10 horses if you only look at the last 3 lines you have 30 possible combinations, if you look at all 10 lines you have 100 possible combinations. I found that by limmiting myself to the top 3 lines that I will miss out on 15 % of potential winners, but I will be much more accurate in hitting my potential 85 % of the races thus my win % wented up and now I make money.

Mike.
MIKE1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #28
MIKE1121
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 131
[QUOTE=Tim Y;37140]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE1121 View Post
Horses will mimic todays beaten lenghts based upon what they most often run, regardless of anything else, if a horse is 6 to 8 beaten lenghts behind the leader in 7 or 8 past races he will most likely be 6 to 8 lenghts behind in todays race. Open up a form look at a bunch of horses last races and see how often it matches with their dominate position.


/QUOTE]

Ah if horses were only that consistent. All horses ON DIRT have form cycles that negate that regularity.
Sorry, I was only talking about first call position. You are right not all horses are consistant,but many are. My method is not rule based I make many exceptions and will make alterations as needed.
MIKE1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #29
Bill V.
The egg man
 
Bill V.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Carlsbad, California
Posts: 10,005
Parts and all

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsnut View Post
Dick and Jeff,

I responded to both of you but for some reason my response which was
positive and cordial to both parties was deleted

Dick, thanks for the kind words.

Jeff, I explained the last 3 items for you.

It seems the server was having problems.

Maybe my response will mystically re-appear.

Oh well.
I apologize if you have posted lately and your post did not
go on or seem like they were deleted

We are having MAJOR problems with the hosting company
and I messed up with some issues

I am sure this will all be fixed soon Ted is once again
working like crazy for us and Richie is helping keep me
from blowing gaskets and talking to the right people for me

But even If I have to rig up a generator to the back tire of the truck
to keep the sight running I will do it

Thanks for your understanding

Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #30
gl45
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 878
Mike57,
nice hit. was the last line that made you a winner, or line 7.
Ray T. "A" angle is hitting almost 70% winner. Fiddlers was one of those, and Q public wouldn't touch him with chinese money.
gl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:28 AM.