Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 05-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #1
turtleman
AlwNW2X

Laptop recommendations

Hi fellow cappers
I was going to purchase the software to run RDSS on my Mac, but have decided to get an inexpensive lap top with
Windows 10 already installed. I am not a computer guy,so was looking for advise on what requirements i should be looking for to best run RDSS, and also accommodate future
updates. Looking to spend under 500.00

Thanks!
turtleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:12 PM   #2
MikeB
Grade 1

Are size and weight a consideration?

I recently bought a Lenovo, pretty plain vanilla, with Win 10. No problems, does everything I want (I am not a power user or a gamer or a geek), about $300 at Best Buy. As I remember, 2 gig memory, 160 gig HD.

I see a lot of guys at the track with tablets or whatever. This one would be too large and heavy for that kind of use. About a 15" screen and weighs about 5 pounds. The screen is large enough to view RDSS comfortably.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:07 PM   #3
Bill V.
The egg man

same

Hey MikeB

It sounds like we have the same machine. I got mine at wally world
It looks a little odd with such a big screen compared to the tablet and nextbook users, But I use the Lenovo for RDSS and it works great

Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:42 AM   #4
turtleman
AlwNW2X

Size doesn't matter

I had kind of ruled out the Lenovo because I did not realize you could get it with window's 10. Reviews say it is basic but secure and has good battery life. I like the idea of the larger screen, and all I care about is that it run's RDSS well.

thanks for the help
Tom
Old 05-30-2016, 06:06 AM   #5
Hoof 11
Grade 1

RDSS does not require a lot of horsepower to run properly, it is not a taxing program. You can basically run it on anything that is Windows based as long as the device allows legacy programs, avoid anything with Windows RT. Like MikeB mentioned, i would go with a minimum of 2 gigs of ram and Windows 10.

In the end, it would come down to what screen size you are comfortable with, that and the battery life. I run RDSS on an 8” tablet with very little horsepower for the handful of times that i go to the track, and it works great.
Hoof 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
MikeB
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleman View Post
I had kind of ruled out the Lenovo because I did not realize you could get it with window's 10. Reviews say it is basic but secure and has good battery life. I like the idea of the larger screen, and all I care about is that it run's RDSS well.

thanks for the help
Tom

Make sure that you get one with Win 10. A lot of people still don't want Win 10. When I bought mine, they had the same model with either Win 10 or Win 8.1 in stock.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:26 PM   #7
Hoof 11
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Make sure that you get one with Win 10. A lot of people still don't want Win 10. When I bought mine, they had the same model with either Win 10 or Win 8.1 in stock.
Either way, it's a free upgrade to Windows 10 until July 29/16. My tablet is running 8.1 and it runs flawlessly, i'm afraid to upgrade for fear of botching things up, but i am curious.
Hoof 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #8
turtleman
AlwNW2X

Thanks guys
I feel a lot more comfortable now knowing that RDSS doesn't take a lot of horse power. been checking on line and there appears to be lots of options to choose from.

Cheers
Tom
Old 05-30-2016, 02:33 PM   #9
MikeB
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof 11 View Post
Either way, it's a free upgrade to Windows 10 until July 29/16. My tablet is running 8.1 and it runs flawlessly, i'm afraid to upgrade for fear of botching things up, but i am curious.
I upgraded my desk top from 8.1 to 10 without a glitch. I like the interface better. Even better, if you left click the Win 10 icon at the bottom left corner, you get the Win 10 start menu. If you right click it, you get something very close to the Win 7 start menu.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #10
mick
Abiding Student

Windows 10 Privacy Concerns

Regarding Windows 10, if you have privacy concerns, this article might be of some interest:

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...plug_them.html

I use Linux on my everyday machine, but I have a Lenovo Edge laptop running Windows 7 and it has given me good service.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote