Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 11-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #1
Mitch44
Grade 1

Threads that go off topic.

Off topic; I find it amazing how so many threads become corrupt and infected by posts that are completely off topic. Once a thread goes off topic it’s like a virus that quickly destroys the main thrust of the thread,and wonders aimlessly in most cases to never return to the original thread or topic.Once that happens we‘ll never know how great the thread would have become or what heights and insights would have been obtained by the contribution of brainstorming by many. Most tend also to only look at the last post or two.

What should one do about this? Feel free to start a new thread. It takes the same amount of time to start a new thread as it does replying to an existing one. Contact the individual by PM to resolve the issue.And if that fails, reply in a respectful and tactful manner as possible. For those that don’t understand the military term of tact, it basically means how to tell someone to go to hell and have them enjoy the trip. E.g. One wouldn't tell a higher ranking individual such as a Lt." Sir your wings are on upside down.",in front of the platoon formation for all to hear. Tact would be to walk up to him so no others would hear and say; 'Sir its an oversight on your part but your wings are on incorrect."
Mitch44

Last edited by Mitch44; 11-17-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I agree! I do try as best I can to snip threads up and move replies which are clearly making a 'right turn' from the Original Topic - but I confess I don't always keep on top of that. I don't even read all the threads if the original Title is not one I am necessarily interested in, so if it takes a turn from say, PARX handicapping to brownie recipies (or something else absurd), I confess I do sometimes miss that.

Everyone can help by asking themselves BEFORE they hit SEND when they Reply in a Discussion - is this comment related to the current Topic at hand. If NOT, as Mitch suggests, start a NEW Topic. If you feel compelled to call someone out for stupidity or naivete or the equivalent of telling them their 'fly is down' - do it in a Private Message (but also consider doing it using language you would accept hearing from others talking to YOU).

Think: will my comment advance the well being of members here or be a detriment to it. You may think you are just a member posting anonymously to an internet discussion board, but really you are here in a community, who exists to help each other be better in this horse racing sport (and better at the game of life). You are who makes this community a nice place to come to (or not).

Also think: if you were searching through months or years of posts at PaceandCap for info on a certain Topic (based on the Topic Header), and found later that the gist of the discussion ended up having little relation to what you thought you had found in your Search - you might be a bit pissed at the poor librarianship of how discussions were categorized. But there is no librarian here - only the collective efforts of all of us.

Thanks Mitch for the heads-up.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 11-20-2018 at 08:17 PM. Reason: moved from Library Forum, Members Contributions (not a Library item)
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Further, if anyone knows of significant Threads which should be broken up into smaller more focused Topics for posterity - please do send me a PRIVATE MESSAGE about it.

Thanks!

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 01-25-2020, 09:24 PM   #4
Rverge
Grade 1

Well guys and dolls! Sunday is the big day to move BACK to California! Lancaster, Ca. our daughter and husband bought a house and invited wife and i to live w/ them. No more Las Vegas. no rent or house payment. we have the Master bed room w/ bath. there are 2 other bedrooms and one should view the Kitchen!! BIG. so till i post again for Super bowl!!
Rverge aka chef
ps Bill V couple weeks SA!!
Old 01-25-2020, 10:35 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Chef, you're hilarious! You post something off topic in a thread dormant for over a year about Off Topic Threads

But I know you mean well Seriously, welcome back to the coast, and to your new big kitchen.

Now, let me tell you about a funny kitten story I heard the other day ...

Ted

R
DSS -