Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Get RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2025, 10:06 AM   #1
Lt1
Grade 1
 
Lt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Valley Stream NY
Posts: 11,451
Turn Time Loss Revisited.

I decided to revisit the topic of turn time loss. I conducted a review of 200 more contenders that lost at least 1 length between the 1c & 2c. The tracks involved were AQU, PARX, MTH,TDN.GP. & LRL. Here are the results
HORSES WINS PLACES
200 24[12%] 18[9%]
So it is pretty clear that horses that lose ground on the turn remain poor win & place prospects. Again these results are based on my contender and paceline selections so I recommend that folks do their own surveys to arrive at the results they can use in their capping.
Tim
Tim
__________________
Trust but verify
Lt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2025, 09:49 AM   #2
MJS6916
Grade 1
 
MJS6916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 440
Tim,

I heard your comments on one of those recent tutorials

about how much the everyday & lower class horses

have a hard time overcoming this kind of disadvantage in F2.

Nice work again.

Mike
__________________
just keeping my trajectory in the positive

http://sartinmethodology.com/pubs/RD...d_Glossary.pdf
MJS6916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2025, 11:46 AM   #3
Lt1
Grade 1
 
Lt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Valley Stream NY
Posts: 11,451
Thanks Mike. Even the better class horses don't do it all that much either.
Tim
__________________
Trust but verify
Lt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2025, 07:02 PM   #4
AwesomeAgain
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: West Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 292
You are 100% correct. That dq really frosted my backside that day. Just have keep swinging like they say in baseball, when a hitter is in a slump. I take comfort in knowing that I don't spend a lot of money like I used to in the beginning of my handicapping career.
This is still a fun game and I love it. All the best sir!
AwesomeAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2025, 12:59 PM   #5
Mr.Pagine
Happy Punting
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 527
Great Info - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1 View Post
I decided to revisit the topic of turn time loss. I conducted a review of 200 more contenders that lost at least 1 length between the 1c & 2c. The tracks involved were AQU, PARX, MTH,TDN.GP. & LRL. Here are the results
HORSES WINS PLACES
200 24[12%] 18[9%]
So it is pretty clear that horses that lose ground on the turn remain poor win & place prospects. Again these results are based on my contender and paceline selections so I recommend that folks do their own surveys to arrive at the results they can use in their capping.
Tim
Tim
Great Info - Much Appreciated.

Don't Forget To Cash!!

Jon
Mr.Pagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2025, 02:52 PM   #6
Lt1
Grade 1
 
Lt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Valley Stream NY
Posts: 11,451
You are welcome Jon.
Tim
__________________
Trust but verify
Lt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2025, 03:14 PM   #7
Jake
Clean slate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1 View Post
I decided to revisit the topic of turn time loss. I conducted a review of 200 more contenders that lost at least 1 length between the 1c & 2c. The tracks involved were AQU, PARX, MTH,TDN.GP. & LRL. Here are the results
HORSES WINS PLACES
200 24[12%] 18[9%]
So it is pretty clear that horses that lose ground on the turn remain poor win & place prospects. Again these results are based on my contender and paceline selections so I recommend that folks do their own surveys to arrive at the results they can use in their capping.
Tim
Tim
Tim,

Sorry, but on this one I continue to disagree with you. 12% winners is not a bad rate here, given the baseline of all horses just randomly selected for win percentage at around 12%-13% on average. And, this is the key observation here: those horses who lost turn time ground last race will likely come back at at higher odds in the next race when they do win (12% in your sample). So, I would tread lightly on automatically throwing these horses out; and, conversely, you may actively seek to make a case for playing these kinds of horse. So, while loss of ground could indicate bad form, it could also indicate a nice long shot play.
Thanks for all your research, Tim, hope you keep floating those kinds of observations, always good food for thought.

Jake
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2025, 04:20 PM   #8
Lt1
Grade 1
 
Lt1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Valley Stream NY
Posts: 11,451
No problem Jake. That's what makes capping fun. We all must live with our decisions. I agree that info like this is valuable since it makes us look at things we maybe overlooking. others find the info useful.
Tim
__________________
Trust but verify
Lt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2025, 04:36 PM   #9
Jake
Clean slate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1 View Post
No problem Jake. That's what makes capping fun. We all must live with our decisions. I agree that info like this is valuable since it makes us look at things we maybe overlooking. others find the info useful.
Tim

That's why I love your motto! Good handicapping, Tim.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turn Time Loss Lt1 Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) 19 12-12-2024 06:16 AM
Follow Up Turn Time Loss Survey Lt1 Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) 8 09-20-2024 01:29 AM
Another Turn Time Loss Survey Lt1 Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) 5 09-17-2024 04:45 PM
8 Month Matchup Thread (Re-posted) Bill Lyster Matchup Discussion 4 05-01-2015 05:02 PM
Time Bill V. General Discussion 0 08-07-2009 05:24 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:19 PM.