Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 08-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
Matt D.
AlwNW1X

Reducing number in primary

Hello:

I am new to RDSS. I would like to know how to reduce the number of runners in the primary? I read where Ted said this is important to reduce the number in the readouts.

Matt D.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
Hoof 11
Grade 1

After you have made your paceline selections, switch to the “Primary” screen. If you look at the screenshot provided, you should start by looking at the “Total Energy” ratings, you can see here that the top horse has a TE rating of 168.9, with the next four horses ranging from 167.5 to 168.1. Basically the top 5 horses shown here are your contenders, with the rest of the field rating 166 or less. You want to keep horses that are within range of the top 2 or 3 horses, sometimes you can narrow it down to 2 horses depending on the ratings, and sometimes you have to include the entire field if they are within range of each other.

As well, look at the “Primary Factors”, you will notice that the top 5 horses are lit up with top 3 ratings throughout, whereas the horses in the highlighted boxed section really aren’t showing much of anything. In this case i would eliminate the bottom 7 horses.

You should try and break it down to 5 horses if possible, but like i mentioned there are times when you can’t if the entire field is competitive, it’s a judgement call.
Attached Images

Hoof 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:34 PM   #3
Matt D.
AlwNW1X

Thanks for the great illustration

Thanks for the quick and informative follow up. To get the top five there and breakdown do I go back into RDSS and delete the other seven horses? Is there another step to just getting the top five there? Not sure what I would do next. I like to look at the BL-BL screen.

Matt
Old 08-25-2014, 10:43 PM   #4
Hoof 11
Grade 1

To eliminate a horse, just “uncheck” the box on the far left hand side of the screen in the “Primary” section. After you have eliminated the tomato cans you can switch back over to the BL/BL screen or any other screen for that matter and start making your decisions.

I can’t stress this enough, read as much as you can on the methodology in this forum, a lot of your questions can be answered in the follow-ups and the many great threads here on P&C.

Good luck!

Last edited by Hoof 11; 08-25-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
Hoof 11
Grade 1

Here is a link to some video tutorials that were done by Ted, they are very informative and very helpful when you are getting started with RDSS.

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5301
Old 08-26-2014, 12:08 AM   #6
Matt D.
AlwNW1X

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I have been spending about an hour each night reading the forums page. Also been concentrating on one track and working with RDSS for another hour. What also helps me handicap is I write down five facts or observations about each race (buying the DRF helps). I also write one observation for each horse on the form such as a good trainer jockey combo or a long layoff. That way you get more of a context or understanding of the race and you break away from the numbers. I have a trip handicapping background so this helps me understand the race.

Matt D.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
MikeB
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
Thanks for the quick and informative follow up. To get the top five there and breakdown do I go back into RDSS and delete the other seven horses? Is there another step to just getting the top five there? Not sure what I would do next. I like to look at the BL-BL screen.

Matt
While looking at the BL-BL screen, if you left-click any place on any pace line, that horse will be removed from the contenders.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote