Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 03-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #11
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Froggy,

The Powerline Indicator (the small coloured boxes) show the top 3 ranked Total Energy Pace of Race (i.e. the POR the horse ran against, not the horse's own POH which includes its beaten lengths, if any), where the horse finished well or at least set or chased the pace through the stretch. This Total Energy POR can be either unadjusted by ITV and DTV or adjusted by them, depending on your settings in the Config Settings window (Show Paceline Indicator Settings). In any case the pacelines are equalized to today's distance. However, no allowance is made for timeframe or surface. This is most appropriate if you tend to follow a Match Up method where you would consider lines from the entire Past Performances or the horse is fit today and shows by whatever measurements you use that it is not recently in declining form.

It is not a magic bullet, and also not the only or even my own recommended paceline selection method - it is more Match Up related, as taught by Richie and the Hat.

Doc taught, and I personally tend to subscribe to, more-or-less, best of the last 3 or so, same distance structure and surface if possible (except for Turf lines, when I revert to the above Powerline indicator method). The Perceptor Total ranking gives you the best lines which I temper with recency.

The concept of Perceptor (or Line Score of differentials) is this:

The 7 Primary Factors shown on the Primary factors screen (and elaborated on in other screens, e.g. EPR, LPR, CPR, HID, FX) show each Primary factor's difference in percentage from best - either best for that horse, in the horse's PP Primary screen - or best for all horses compared, in the Analysis Primary screen. Best is shown as 0.0 and is coloured RED. Numbers greater than 0.0 represent the percentage worse than best. For any given paceline, if you sum the percent differences horizontally, you get a total (which is not shown). However, the highest total number represents the best in the Perceptor Total column, which again is shown as 0.0 and coloured RED. All other values in that column represent the line score sums and their differential from that best. It's basically the old F6 Paceline Indicator from Validator, but with extra precision, and is a way to gage what a horse is capable of. There tends to be a strong corelation between Perceptor rank and Total Energy. It's not a perfect measurement, though, as it matters where a horse needs to demonstrate strong energy disbursement (e.g. Early) which corresponds to the Segments CBL readouts or to %Median or to E/L difference.

To summarize: the Powerline indicators are based on Total Energy POR (either adjusted or unadjusted) and Perceptor is based on a line score of the 7 Primary factors. I would recommend using either one, or the other, and not mixing them. And always back up your choice of line with confirming evidence that that line is not an aberation, not the best ever (unless a younger, lightly raced, possibly improving animal), and that the horse is capable of running like that today.

Froggy, hope that helps. Your 100 race summary is awesome - what discipline. Hope you don't mind if I send that post to Doc.

yours,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 03-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #12
Rxlawyer
Grade 1

Richiep:

Thank You For The Wonderful Way You Laid Everything Out And Clearly Showed What You Did From Start To Finish.

Gary L.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #13
froggy
Grade 1

Ted,

Thanks for your explanation.

Froggy